Gaza Travel Answers

change location

Clueless

by sugarintheytank Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 12:04 AM

How do get to Gaza from Los Angeles? I have no idea what my first step should be if I were to spontaneuosly decide to go. What is the nearest airport, and then what do I do?

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • gilabrand's Profile Photo

RE: Clueless

by gilabrand Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 12:25 AM

Gaza is in Israel. So the first step is to get on a flight to Tel Aviv.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Clueless

by sugarintheytank Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 12:45 AM

Thanks so much. And then what do I do? How can I ensure that I can get into Gaza though? Can you list some steps I should take if I wanted to go in a few weeks? I already have a passport, and that is the only thing that I have done. What airline am I supposed to take? Thanks!

by ramot418 Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 2:36 AM

The only way to Gaza for a non-Palestinian is via Israel. From there you cross into Gaza (if they allow you - it may or may not be closed).

BTW, why do you want to go to Gaza of all places? It isn't exactly the best place to be at the moment. Have you done any research about Gaza and Mideast politics?

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 6:25 AM

That is easy, you can fly direct from LAX to TLV with American Airlines or El Al. Flight time is about 18 hours. Other international airlines will take you from LAX to TLV with one change on the way. It can be in New York, Amsterdam, Frankfurt London or other places.
    From Tel-Aviv to Gaza its only about one hour by bus/taxi service.
    I am sure they will welcome you in Gaza with open arms.
    Bon Voyage.

by sugarintheytank Online Now Mar 11, 2006 at 2:23 AM

Thank you so so so so so much!!! Yay!!! You're the best!!! You have given me some hope and optimism now about the future!!! Thanks for real!!!

by sugarintheytank Online Now Mar 11, 2006 at 2:28 AM

I read several sources of current events in Gaza almost daily. I might be clueless, but not 100%! I want to go there because all of a sudden I felt like I needed to go. I am aware that people think that it is a bad idea, but it doesn't really bother me.

by ramot418 Online Now Mar 13, 2006 at 3:46 AM

If your sources are the media, then you are most likely getting a wrong and/or incomplete picture. I advise speaking with Americans and other foreigners who are/were actually there.

by sugarintheytank Online Now Mar 13, 2006 at 10:26 AM

I read the Israeli Violations Report on PCHR.org mostly, and a few other things. I am aware that there are some risks, but it doesn't deter me from doing what I want to do. I am mostly concerned with being able to get in!!! I have already made up my mind, and even if it is foolish, it's all good!!! I think that the experience would be good for me, don't you?????

by ramot418 Online Now Mar 15, 2006 at 7:30 AM

If that site is an example of what you have been reading to get a picture of what's going on, then you are getting a totally warped and extremely biased picture. I advise reading "neutral" sites rather than only very pro-Palestinian (and anti-Israel) ones.

According to what has happened recently (and is even posted on that site), the place isn't very safe for foreign nationals - especially those from the USA.

The choice is yours. But please make it based on accurate information from neutral sources and from what you hear from people who have actually been there.

• mafi_moya's Profile Photo

by mafi_moya Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 1:47 AM

I don't know if this is a joke question or not, but anyway...

First, Gaza is not in Israel, it is occupied by Israel - huge difference. (and yes, even after the "disengagement")

Second, I would love to know what Ramon would suggest as "neutral" websites ... the Jerusalem Post perhaps?! Keep reading PCHR for a good picture

RE: RE: Clueless

by gilabrand Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 2:08 AM

So should she get on a plane to occupied Gaza?

by mafi_moya Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 6:43 AM

Well that would be a bit difficult given that Gaza airport was destroyed. But just because you have to go through Israel to get there doesnt mean it is IN Israel

by gilabrand Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 7:02 AM

Semantics, semantics. Look at the question. All I was doing was answering it. I was not making a political statement.

by mafi_moya Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 7:50 AM

Its nothing to do with semantics but a very important matter of fact - I appreciate that you might not have meant anything by it but it still needed correcting. Anyway I hope the point is made. By the way, if you look at the question then its clear that she knows where Gaza is - thats why she's posted the question in this forum.

by ramot418 Online Now Mar 18, 2006 at 6:39 AM

PCHR is an extremely pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel site. It is totally one-sided. If you want to read such stuff, at least balance it with pro-Israel sites to try and get a more accurate picture.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gaza