Garmisch-Partenkirchen

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Getting to Weltenberg

Weltenburg 8 hours ago

We will be coming from Kelheim and were thinking about hoofing it at some point to the Abbey, and then boating back. Can anyone advise on where to catch a reasonable walking point? And about one way on ferry back?

more
    • cost taxi fare

Passau Apr 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Taxi fare from Passau Railway Stn to Hotel Passaeur Wolf Hotel.

more
    • How would I get here from Munich?

Ettal Mar 23, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Hello,

How would I get to this beautiful town from Munich via the rail system? I will only have my global rail pass during my time in Europe but I have fallen in love with the beauty and peacefulness of Ettal.

Thanks,
      Kaycee

more
    • Munich or Reykjavik??

Munich Apr 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I'm meeting a friend in Munich 22Aug and my airline ticket I'm booking has a layover in Reykjavik. If possible, I'd love to stay a day in Iceland and explore and meet my friend in Munich a few hours before she lands. Or Land in Munich a day early and explore Munich. I haven't called the airline to see if it's at all possible to extend my layover for the same price, but for those of you who have done both....what are you thoughts? 27Female traveling alone. Reykjavik or Munich for a day?? Things to see, how expensive is food and hotels you recommend? I'm obviously on a budget (aren't we all?) Safety of both? Any and all input is much appreciated!

Cheers!

more
    • Roseninsel

Starnberger See Apr 8, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I really want to see Roseninsel :) I'm note really sure on which S bahn station is better to drop off. Feldafing? Possenhofem? Is it far if I walk from the S station?

more
    • theron7's Profile Photo

6 Hour Layover

Munich Apr 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM

1st time visitor here. My son and I, he is 18, have a 6.5 hour layover on Monday, July 30. e want to go into town see a market and then hit a beer garden before continuing on to Athens. Are there any particular Beer gardens that should not be missed and that are easily assessable in our time frame? Thanks for your help!

more
    • Lindau / Lake Konstanz in Easter April 2014

Lindau Mar 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM

We are a couple with a 2 year old daughter and wish to travel to Lindau & Lake Constance in April 2014 during Easter. How is the weather during this period historically and will there be tourists shops / travel boats / restaurants open during this time.
      We want to make Lindau our base with a holiday apartment for 4-5 nights. Any suggestions on nearby excursions / car drives most welcome...will be hiring a car from Memmengin airport.
      Thanks so much for your time.

more
    • cmillard's Profile Photo

Ghotel Hotel & Living Munchen-Zentrum

Munich Apr 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Another question regarding this hotel please. We will be taking the train to Venice after we leave Germany. Is this hotel closer to the main train station or to the train station at the airport?

Thank you,
      Mickey

more
    • mountain climbing/hiking

Passau Apr 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Looking for a beautiful place to hike/climb not far from Passau. Preferably the alps.

more
    • basstbn's Profile Photo

From boat to train station?

Nürnberg Apr 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM

We will be arriving in Nürnberg (late June) via Viking Cruise Line, and traveling on to Prague. Because we are taking a diversion from the Viking package, we will be on our own regarding transportation to the Nürnberg train or bus station. Can anybody in the VT community tell us how to get from the boat docks to the central stations?

more
    • Help with iternary for Munich and surrounding areas

Munich Apr 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I will be in the Munich (thats where my flight lands). I am traveling with my family (2 kids: 9 month and 7 year old). This is my iternary

Date Location

3-Jul Munich

4-Jul Munich

5-Jul Bavarian forest

6-Jul Bavarian forest

7-Jul Bavarian forest/Salsburg

8-Jul Salsburg

9-Jul Salsburg

10-Jul Munich

11-Jul Munich

Does anyone have any suggestion on my iternary.

Please help

Thanks

aatiman

more
    • Student Traveler

Munich Apr 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I am a journalism student at the University of South Carolina and will be traveling to Munich and Berlin in May with a class. My group project is to report on unique places in Munich and Berlin. We are looking to go to places that are bizarre or wacky is some aspect (for example: the Currywurst Museum, Peacock Island or Tropical Islands Berlin). Do you have any suggestions or any contacts in either of the two cities? I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
      Abbey O'Brien

more
    • Travel to Geiselwind

Geiselwind Apr 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM

How can i go to Geiselwind from Frankfurt airport? Is there any bus or train? How much will i spend for it? What time can i take the bus or train?

more
    • Will Wurzburg train platforms be listed on D bahn?

Würzburg Mar 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM

We are going from Rothenburg to Frankfurt Airport with a connection in Wurzburg. There is little time between trains and no platforms listed. I am wondering how to find out the platform numbers ahead so we don't miss the train.

more
    • Bus from Gamisch-Partenkirchen to Attel Abbey

by RO-CBR Online Now Mar 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM

We wish to visit Attel Abbey as a day trip from Munich in July. The DBahn website gives plenty of information on trains between Munich and G-P however I am having difficulty finding information on how to get to the abbey once we arrive in Garmisch-P. I assume there is a local bus however I cannot track down any details. Does anyone know how we can do it?

11 Answers Mar 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    • pep157 @optonline.net

by impeppy Online Now Feb 18, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Is there a week pass on mountain rail road and cable cars.

4 Answers Feb 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    • Drive around countryside

by s_david Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Can you suggest areas in Germany where you can go for picturesque countryside drives?

4 Answers Feb 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    • Alik_S's Profile Photo

3-day hiking routes in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

by Alik_S Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 5:02 AM

Dear community,
      please advise 2-3-day hiking routes in the area with stay in the mountain huts.
      We are planning to visit Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the mid of June for a hike.
      Moderate-to-difficult level is OK, but we do not want to take any equipment with us except sleeping bags.
      Do we need sleeping bags to stay in the mountain huts?
      Any advises for must-see places and links to good sites are welcome.
      Thank you.

2 Answers Feb 14, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    • New years eve

by Hanskristian Online Now Dec 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Hello everybody !

Where to be and what not to miss in GP this New Years Eve?

Hk

• Carved Candles?

by AprilsTravels Online Now Nov 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Looking for a shop there in Garmisch-Partenkirchen that sells carved candles that has a "wooden" look to them and has the city's name carved into them please. Any help is appreciated! We are heading there this coming week (first full week in December).

1 Answer Feb 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    • Train station storage

by MaryAnne27 Online Now Nov 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

is there storage at the Garmish train station for backpacks and suitcases?

3 Answers Nov 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    • getting around

by magpat98 Online Now Oct 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Hello ! I am hoping someone might be familiar with the US army base in Garmisch Germany. Specifically I was wondering if I can reach it from the center train station by either bus or train .... and how far it is located from the town of Garmisch. I am heading there next week and cannot quite tell from websites if a car is necessary. THANK YOU for any information including your favorite hotel in town !

4 Answers Oct 16, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    • Schloss LInderhof & Kloster Ettal

by GNR2004 Online Now Oct 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

What is the most convenient and practical way to get to Schloss Linderhof and Kloster Ettal from Garmisch-Partenkirchen in winter when one doesn't have a car and needs to rely on public transport? Is it realistic to cover both places in a day (factoring travel time back to Garmisch-Partenkirchen)?

7 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    • Day Trip from Munich

by Leannebuchanan Online Now Oct 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I'd like to do a day trip from Munich that includes Garmisch - Partenkirchen and Neuschwanstein Castle - is this possible and if so are there any companies recommended.
      Thanks
      Leanne
      Perth, Australia

4 Answers Oct 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    • Garmish for an evening and morning

by koop31 Online Now Sep 23, 2013 at 5:32 AM

I'm staying a night in Garmisch before heading to oktoberfest. Arriving at 18:00 and departing at 12-13. Any recommendations for attractions to see?

4 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    • Traveling to Garmisch from Munich on Christmas Day

by leannewb Online Now Sep 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Do the trains run on Christmas day, and will Garmisch or Zugspitze be open for Skiing on the 25th?

3 Answers Sep 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    • Hikes

by Jano18 Online Now May 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Hi, I am going to Garmisch for 9 days in September. I am a moderate hiker. It has been difficult from the states to find moderate day hikes from 5-8 hours in length. We would also like to spend one night in a mountain hut during one of our hikes. Can I get all responders to give me their top five hikes that fall within my criteria. I hear the hike to Mittenwald is real nice. I cannot find any books that give me this info. Thanks a bunch

11 Answers Jun 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    • Irish hiking group to Zugspitze.

by johntlenihan Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

HI I’m travelling to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in September with a group of about 15 for who I am organizing the trip and I’m trying to put a travel agenda together and I was hoping maby someone who knows the area might be able to advise me in any way as any of us aren’t big into the internet scene so could do with all the help we can get, we will be flying into Munich at about 3 in the afternoon and from what I read there seems to be a ticket for about 30 euros that we can purchase at a counter that will cover us in groups of 5, is it easy to find this counter at Munich airport and will this ticket get us all the way to Garmish-P and can we purchase it on day of travel or would we need to book our place on the train to Garmish-P in advance, someone mentioned that we can’t get a direct train from the airport to GP but that we should get a connection at a place called Passing rather than the main station, if we are travelling from the airport by train which place do we come to first is it Passing or is it the main station, when in GP we are thinking of staying in self catering facilities as we will be hiking up the Zugspitze and plan on spending at least 2 night up the mountain, ( 1 on the way up and one on the summit) and maby a night in Mittenwald so it prob wouldn’t make sense to be paying money for a hotel room or B and B if we going to be staying elsewhere for 3 nights, also can anyone tell me do we need to book ahead for accommodation on the mountain at the huts as we would be there on the last wed and thurs of September, Thanks in advance for any answers to my queries or for any further advice that ye can offer us, we intend to book our flights and accommodation the coming weekend, thank u – The Irish hikers.

7 Answers Apr 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    • A small studio to rent for 6 weeks?

by itsasmallworld Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I am going to Garmisch to work for 6 weeks, starting April 2, and I need to rent a small studio (not an expensive vacation house) as close to the Marshall Center as possible. I might stay there till the end of the year, but I do not know yet. I would appreciate any leads/ideas!!! Thanks!

3 Answers Mar 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    • BethP12's Profile Photo

Christmas Markets

by BethP12 Online Now Sep 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM

My family and I will be traveling to Garmisch-Partenkirchen from Dec. 27-Jan 3. My question is will there be any holiday decorations or events (Christmas Markets)still going on while we are there? Even in nearby towns? I was so looking forward to experience them but our trip was pushed back until after Christmas. Thanks,

7 Answers Dec 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    • Time/Tolls from Zurich Airport

by dmonahan Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM

We will be arriving at Zurich Airport at 1100 on a Tuesday. We have booked a rental car and will drive directly to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Google Maps shows that to be a drive of 3:27, so I am assuming we can arrive before 1800, even with a short stop for lunch. Is that about right? It also shows that it is mostly on toll roads, some in Switzerland, some in Austria. How much cash do I need in CFH and Euros?

3 Answers Aug 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    • Ski jumping hill

by ahonen78 Online Now Jan 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Hi to all,
      I will be in Garmisch im late may. My questions are how far is ski jumping hill from centar, or from hotel bavaria Partnachstraße 51?

best regards
      Alen

2 Answers Jan 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM
    • Availability of Public Transportation

by robazeh Online Now Jan 15, 2012 at 6:33 AM

My wife and I plan on visiting Garmisch during the first week in May this year.

We want to visit Oberammergau on one day and Neuschwanstein/Linderhoff castles on a second day. Is there public transportation (bus or rail) to both of these locations from Garmisch? If so, how long are the trips and cost for just the transportation?

Thanks in advance
      ROBAZEH

13 Answers Jan 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    • Zugspitze

by ngr2009 Online Now Aug 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM

My wife and I will be in Garmisch on 30Aug and will spend a whole day there from 11:00 to 20:00. My questions are:

1)Web searching tells us that there will be 47 euro each round trip for cogwheel/cable car to reach mountain top and back. If we use cogwheel to reach top and back, can we use it again by cable car (for different view) to reach top and back?

2)What is usually the weather condition on 30Aug? Snow at 3000 altitude? What will be the temperature then? Any highland reaction?(hard to catch breath)? What cloths to put on?

Appreciate your help.

4 Answers Aug 18, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    • azz8206's Profile Photo

Christmas in Bavaria

by azz8206 Online Now Aug 11, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Hello all,
      I will be in Garmisch from the 27-29th of December. My questions are 1. Do I need a car in Garmisch? 2. Will restaurants and bars be open during this time? Will the cable car to the top of Zugspitze be open?
      Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 20, 2011 at 4:03 AM
    • Garmisch to Chur

by kathystringer Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Hi, I'm writing on behalf of a group of 6 mature-aged adults who are interested in travelling from Garmisch to Chur in Switzerland to ride the Bernina Express to Tirano, before heading to the Lake Como area for a couple of days. We would then like to spend some time in Innsbruck and Salzburg before heading into Slovenia. I know it's backtracking to head west (we've come down from Frankfurt along the Romantic Road)but one couple hasn't been to the Lake Como area before and the rest of us would love to visit there again!
      Would anyone be able to suggest the best route for this trip? Am thinking train - prefer not to drive, so as to enjoy the scenery. Would prefer the most direct routes possible(limited time). Have looked at some websites but with limited success. Most appreciative for any advice. Thanks, Kathy

2 Answers Jul 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    • Would there be snow at Zugspite in May last week

by anjana1 Online Now May 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I am planning a trip to Garmisch from Innsbruck and spending the day to go around Zugspite and Garmisch before heading back to Munich in the evening .Wanted to know if there would be snow in Zugspite as the children are keen to play in the snow. Also, what do you suggest we do in Garmisch after we have seen Zugspite. I am travelling with 2 kids aged 5 and 11 and my in laws who are 65

5 Answers May 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    • johndoe78's Profile Photo

soccer in a pub?

by johndoe78 Online Now Apr 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Hi,
      I am going to be in Garmisch in 12/4, the day schalke 04 will make history and will go the next level in the champions league
      Is there a bar or a pub which you recommend to be that evening :-) ??

Thanks!

3 Answers Apr 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    • bed & breakfast

by vagabonnie Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I used to be able to find a listing of private b&b acommodations in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but now it's all hooked up to booking sites like hotels.com etc. Is there no longer a site for the private listings? Looking for 4 nights in May 2011 for 2 people. Trying to stay under50 / night. (Euro 40)

1 Answer Jan 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    • mumymama's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Garmisch

by mumymama Online Now Dec 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Hello everybody! Where do I search accommodation in Garmisch to be close to the ski lifts? Any advice on pension/apartments? Have a nice day!

4 Answers Apr 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    • dilimr's Profile Photo

Garmisch Tour

by dilimr Online Now Nov 8, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Hello,

I am from Bangalore, India. I am planning to visit Garmisch during March 2011 for about 4 to 5 days for my honeymoon. I have a few questions in mind which i hope some of you will be kind enough to answer. Here it goes:

1. What will be climate of Garmisch during March & is it a good (maybe not the best) time to visit Garmisch?

2. Kindly suggest some good hotel for our accommodation in Garmisch and my budget is around US$400 to US$500 for 4 nights and 5 days.

3. How many days are required to see Garmisch and surrounding places? And what are the major tourist attractions there?

4. Me and my spouse are vegetarians and hence i would like to know what would a typical vegetarian meal cost in Garmisch?

5. What are the charges that i need to be ready to spend other than accommodation, food, personal charges/shopping? It would be more clear if i put this straight. What would be the approx entry charges etc., for visiting the tourist attractions?

6. Me and my spouse are new to skiing and i came to know that Garmisch is a major skiing destination so even if even don't ski, would we be let into mountains?

7. Which is the nearest airport to Garmisch? Munich or Innsbruck? And how to and which is the most convenient mode of travel to reach Garmisch from Munich/Innsbruck? How much may it cost from either of the airports?

8. Do i need to book with a travel agent from India before i leave to Garmisch for the accommodation and visiting the tourist places in Garmisch or after reaching Garmisch should i book with a local travel agent? Which would be the best thing to do? If booking with a local travel agent is the best thing to do, can you suggest me some reliable and good local travel agent who can fix my trip in Garmisch?

I know my questions are very lengthy and takes time to answer, but i hope some of you will take time and patiently answer all of them. Be my saviour. Awaiting plenty of replies. Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Dilip Manivala

4 Answers Nov 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    • Christmas dinner

by tisykcoles Online Now Nov 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM

We will be in Garmisch for Christmas. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant for Christmas dinner?

2 Answers Nov 30, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    • train and hotel questions

by trvlingrndma52 Online Now Aug 30, 2010 at 10:10 PM

We have 3 couples planning on traveling to Garmisch, we plan on one night but may stay longer. We wanted to know about the train station for lockers to hold our rolling suitcases. Are there some there or not? Also a good hotel near the station what ones do you suggest. We have not booked anything and we will be going there Sept 25/26, 2010. We planned to go on to Fussen, then to Rotenburg ob der Tauber. What would others suggest for us as this is first time in Germany for all of us.

4 Answers Aug 31, 2010 at 2:09 AM
    • LOTS OF QUESTIONS ON VISITING GARMISCH PARTENKIRCHEN!!

by harrietsquestions Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I have a number of questions that (I hope!!) someone maybe able to answer. I am sorry there are so many questions, but I have never visited before, and any answers to any of the questions would be most helpful.

1. ACCOMMODATION AND THE GENERAL AREA;

We will not arrive at the train station until about 8pm at night. We are two girls (age 25 and 26) and wonder, firstly, is Garmisch Partenkirchen a 'safe' resort for two lone females?

Are there any areas of the town that we should avoid (I know that in most areas the train/bus station is off limits) is that the case here??

Can anyone recommend a nice quality, modern-type hotel that is within walking (rather than needing to catch a bus) distance of the train station (each pulling a heavy case so it can’t be too far to walk!!). Our budget is around E100-140 for 1 x night.

Are the two town centres of Garmisch and Partenkirchen within walking distance of each other? Would anyone recommend one over the over, in particular with regard to a hotel (we will be totally reliant on public transport so no car!!)

2. THE COGWHEEL TRAIN UP THE ZUGSPITZE MOUNTAIN;

Are there toilets on board?

How much does it cost ?

How long does it take?

Is it possible to get completely to the summit by the cogwheel train, or is it necessary to go by cable car?

What amenities are at the mountain summit, is there a café, restaurant shop etc?

How long should we expect to spend at the summit?

3. THE RESORT AMENITIES;

What is the resort of Garmisch Partenkirchen like? For example, as we will not arrive until around 8pm, will there by anything open ie, cafes, restaurants etc or does everything close at 5pm?

What type of shops are there? Are they all ski-wear, hiking-wear shops?

Is it a busy resort at this time, ie, should we pre-book a hotel or will there be plenty of availability once there?

I understand that the temperature will obviously drop the higher you ascent the mountain, but what sort of temperatures can we expect in mid-august in Garmisch Partenkirchen itself?

Should we expect to wear normal summer clothes in the resort with a waterproof and woollies for the mountain??

Again, sorry that there are (so many!!) questions, but I hope that someone maybe able to answer at least a couple.

Thanks for your help, Harriet

11 Answers Aug 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM