Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Answers

change location

Garmisch to Chur

by kathystringer Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Hi, I'm writing on behalf of a group of 6 mature-aged adults who are interested in travelling from Garmisch to Chur in Switzerland to ride the Bernina Express to Tirano, before heading to the Lake Como area for a couple of days. We would then like to spend some time in Innsbruck and Salzburg before heading into Slovenia. I know it's backtracking to head west (we've come down from Frankfurt along the Romantic Road)but one couple hasn't been to the Lake Como area before and the rest of us would love to visit there again!
Would anyone be able to suggest the best route for this trip? Am thinking train - prefer not to drive, so as to enjoy the scenery. Would prefer the most direct routes possible(limited time). Have looked at some websites but with limited success. Most appreciative for any advice. Thanks, Kathy

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Re: Garmisch to Chur

by lotharscheer Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Garmisch to Innsbruck about 1.20 hours, Garmisch to Salzburg about 3.20 hours, Innsbruck to Salzburg about 2 hours, Innsbruck to Chur via Zuerich (or Sargans) about 3.10 hours, Salzburg to Chur via Zuerich about 5.20 hours, Innsbruck to Ljubljana via Schwarzach about 6.20 hours, Salzburg to Ljubljana about 4.20 hours.
    Tirano via Milano or Innsbruck to Ljublana about 17 hours (several changes), Como via Milano and Venice about 10 hours
    All are fairly frequent connections
    http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp
    bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Garmisch to Chur

by kathystringer Online Now Jul 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Thanks Lotharscheer, you've provided lots of useful information here and I'll check those sites. I'm very grateful. Thanks, Kathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines