Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Answers

change location
dobrovod's Profile Photo

in Garmisch for Christmas

by dobrovod Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

We're planning to go back to Garmisch (Edelweiss Lodge, 24-27 DEC) for Christmas. Since not much seems to be open for the holidays, we're thinking about renting cross country skis and getting a little sled for our daughter. I've been searching online for cross country ski trails in the area (Hausberg, Kaltenbrunn, etc.) but haven't been able to find any maps of the trails. Last time we were there in the winter, there were plenty of people near the hotel cross country skiing. (I guess I should be more concerned that the weather will be cold enough and there will be sufficient snow.)

Can anyone also recommend some small hills near Gernackerstrasse for a sled? Last time, I just pulled my daughter on the cross country ski trail but she's older now so I'd like to be a little more adventurous. We don't need to go up any lifts to skiing/snowboarding/sledding areas.

If anyone has any other suggestions for things to do in the Garmisch area over the Christmas weekend, please let me know. I imagine that nearly everything will be closed 24-27 December for the holidays.

Thank you,
Michael

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • swandav's Profile Photo

Re: in Garmisch for Christmas

by swandav Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure you'll be able to find cross country skiing here that soon. We have gotten some snow in the past few days, but it's not sticking here at street level. Things may change in a few weeks, so one can never tell.

The new Garmisch website has tons of information on tobogganing. Just go to

www.gapa.de

Then click on the "Tour Planner" and then on "Winter Tours" and then on "Tobogganing." If you click on the icons that come up, it will show the trail on the map. You'll see a major area on the Hausberg, which you already know. You'll also see a children's tobaggoning area near the Kramerplateau trail on the north side of town. No worries, though, the town bus can whisk you around easily. Sorry, I don't have any personal knowledge of any suitable little hills you can just walk up; but you know, there are many little trails up into the hills, and you may just take any one of them. Maybe one of the trails up to the Riessersee may work. Just make sure that you won't wipe out any walkers out there, and that skiers won't be running over you --

You can also use the same site to find the cross-country ski runs.

I usually plan some nice gentle walks on holiday days (that's what many locals will be doing before and after their feasts!).

If you attend Chapel during your visit, I may see you there!

s

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chris.hh's Profile Photo

Re: in Garmisch for Christmas

by chris.hh Online Now Dec 6, 2009 at 5:37 AM

In the following link you find some trails mentioned. I am not into that but maybe you can start googling with this info. Also you can download a PDF-map with trail around Mittenwald, close to Garmisch.

www.guide-to-bavaria.com/de/Zugspitzregion-Langlaufen-Langlaufloipen.html

Loipe Kaltenbrunn - Klais / 10 km – middle to hard
    Rundkurs Kaltenbrunn / 5 km - middle to easy
    Loipe Skistadion - Hausberg / 4 km – easy
    Loipe Hausberg - Hammersbach / 8 km – easy
    Nachtloipe im Kainzenbad (beim Olympia-Skistadion) / 1,5 km – easy with light for tuesday and thursdays form 6 to 9 p.m.

great stay, Chris.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines