Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Answers

change location
KrisandReade's Profile Photo

Zürich to Garmisch scenic route

by KrisandReade Online Now Jul 27, 2005 at 9:44 AM

We will be driving from Zürich to Garmisch. A scenic drive is more important to us than time. Would it be best to take the southern route thru Austria (St. Anton) or take the northern route thru Lindau and over the German Alpenstraße road?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

RE: Zürich to Garmisch scenic route

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 27, 2005 at 9:36 PM

We spent a month in the Lindau area last May-June and I can highly recommend the area. Lindau itself is lovely, both upper and lower old towns, but the lake is a dream. We drove through Garmisch-Partenkirchen and it was nice but I highly recommend you take the time to stop in Mittenwald. It's a little south of Garmisch but well worth the detour. It was one of our favorite little towns on the trip.

Try to take a boat trip on the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz). There are lots of different boat tours and the lake is lovely, as is the town.

I wish I could make a recommendation on your choices, but we were only on the northern section. I will say that we enjoyed Bavaria much more than Austria . . . with the exception of Innsbruck which we loved. The entire area is so beautiful that I think either choice would be very pleasant for you. We also found drivers in Germany generally much more polite than in Austria. (Apologies to all the good drivers in Austria!)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines