Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Answers

change location

Irish hiking group to Zugspitze.

by johntlenihan Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

HI I’m travelling to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in September with a group of about 15 for who I am organizing the trip and I’m trying to put a travel agenda together and I was hoping maby someone who knows the area might be able to advise me in any way as any of us aren’t big into the internet scene so could do with all the help we can get, we will be flying into Munich at about 3 in the afternoon and from what I read there seems to be a ticket for about 30 euros that we can purchase at a counter that will cover us in groups of 5, is it easy to find this counter at Munich airport and will this ticket get us all the way to Garmish-P and can we purchase it on day of travel or would we need to book our place on the train to Garmish-P in advance, someone mentioned that we can’t get a direct train from the airport to GP but that we should get a connection at a place called Passing rather than the main station, if we are travelling from the airport by train which place do we come to first is it Passing or is it the main station, when in GP we are thinking of staying in self catering facilities as we will be hiking up the Zugspitze and plan on spending at least 2 night up the mountain, ( 1 on the way up and one on the summit) and maby a night in Mittenwald so it prob wouldn’t make sense to be paying money for a hotel room or B and B if we going to be staying elsewhere for 3 nights, also can anyone tell me do we need to book ahead for accommodation on the mountain at the huts as we would be there on the last wed and thurs of September, Thanks in advance for any answers to my queries or for any further advice that ye can offer us, we intend to book our flights and accommodation the coming weekend, thank u – The Irish hikers.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • antistar's Profile Photo

Re: Irish hiking group to Zugspitze.

by antistar Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You're looking for a Bavarian länder ticket. These are valid for one day in the entire state of Bavaria. You can buy them for 1 to 5 people (38 euros). There's a station at Munich airport so you should be able to buy them from a ticket office there. You can also buy them from the electronic ticket machines, which are in English as well as German.

bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/prices...

Looking at the bahn website there is a change as Munich-Pasing, but there are more connections at the main station. You might shave a minute off your time changing at Pasing, but it's probably safer to change at Munich if you don't know the timetables too well.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:34 AM

A minor addition to the above: If you take the S-1 (as opposed to the S-8) from Munich Airport, you will need to change to another S-Bahn in Laim to get to Munich-Pasing. If you take the S-8, you can get off at either the main station or Pasing.

Also, if you buy a Bavaria Ticket at the ticket counter, you will be charged a 2 Euro surcharge (i.e, cost would be 40 Euros). If you buy the ticket(s) at the DB or MVV ticket machines (also at the airport), you will not have to pay the surcharge.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

>  and from what I read there seems to be a ticket for about 30 euros that we can purchase at a counter that will cover us in groups of 5

Bayern Ticket. Is however now EUR 38 for 5 persons if bought from ticket machines. EUR 40 at the counter.

toytowngermany.com/wiki/Baye...

> is it easy to find this counter at Munich airport

There are several options to buy this ticket in person: the DB (German Rail) travel center, a DER travel agency and you can buy it also at the left luggage desks of the airport.

> and will this ticket get us all the way to Garmish-P and can we purchase it on day of travel

2 x yes.

> or would we need to book our place on the train to Garmish-P in advance#

Bayern Ticket is only vaid for regional trains. No reservations on regional trains at all. Apart from a single ICE run on a few days all trains to Garmisch-Partenkirchen are regional trains.

> someone mentioned that we can’t get a direct train from the airport to GP

The airport is only served by suburban S-Bahn trains. Which get you just to Munich and a few nearby places.

> but that we should get a connection at a place called Passing rather than the main station, if we are travelling from the airport by train which place do we come to first is it Passing or is it the main station

Pasing is smaller than the (really big) Hauptbahnhof (main train station). Coming from the airport Hauptbahnhof comes first. The trains to Garmisch-Partenkirchen do all start from the Hauptbahnhof with Pasing being their first stop.

> also can anyone tell me do we need to book ahead for accommodation on the mountain at the huts as we would be there on the last wed and thurs of September

With this size of group - definitley book ahead. Mid/end of September is the best time for such a tour. And you won't be the only ones up there.

For accommodation in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald you can also contact their tourist offices for assistance.

by abalada Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

With your group size entering the train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen at its start point, i.e. München Hauptbahnhof (Hbf), will make sense. Esp. at this time of the day.

München Flughafen Terminal dep 16:04 S-Bahn S8 (airport)

München Hbf (tief) arr 16:45 (underground S-Bahn station of the Hbf)

München Hbf Gl.27-36 dep 17:00 RB (northern wing station of the Hbf)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen  arr 18:35

München Flughafen Terminal dep 16:31 S-Bahn S1

München Hbf (tief) arr 17:17

München Hbf Gl.27-36 dep 17:32 RB

Garmisch-Partenkirchen  arr 18:58

To get from the S-Bahn station to the northern wing station use the escalator at the far end of the S-Bahn platform in driving direction when traveling on a S8 and opposite driving direction when using a S1. If you have the chance to make it on an earlier S-Bahn (both lines run every 20 minutes each) do this.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

by german_eagle Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Are you experienced hikers? Because that tour is really long, strenuous, and involves crossing an icefield. Make sure you only go in good weather - if it's raining/snowing you must cancel - dangerous.

1 member found this helpful

by abalada Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:32 AM

There are 2 routes up to the Zugspitze. The one through the Reintal and the one through the Höllental.

Reintal is a fairly easy Alpine hike. But due the huge altitude difference (2.200 meters) and length best done also on 2 days.

Höllental route is a Klettersteig / via ferrata. One has to cross a small glacier - the Höllentalferner. And needs adequate equipment

aktiv-am-berg.com/?tcp_produ...

• Re: Irish hiking group to Zugspitze.

by johntlenihan Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Wow I’ve just checked the site and thank you all for your abundance of answers which will make my role of organizer a lot easier, our group is a fit enough group as some of us have been members of Irelands mountain racing team in the not too distant past but we don’t have any experience at technical climbing however we have organized a days training on a via Ferrata before we travel to Germany just to see who is up for the Hollental route should the weather permit, we would all have small scale experience with crampons here on Irelands highest mountain in the winter, thanks again to you all and roll on September.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines