Gangtok Travel Answers

change location

Need help..?

by calvin7572 Online Now Apr 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I wanted to know what is the current rate for a Natula pass & Tsongo lake visit and can anybody suggest a agent or can I book directly at tourism office, also need to know what are the charges for local sight seeing. I would be visiting Gangtok on 20/4/12.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Re: Need help..?

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Apr 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

1. Owing to bad weather and bad road conditions, Nathula is closed at the moment. Hope conditions improve by 20/04/2012.

2. You can go up to Tsango Lake at the moment. Rates are between INR 3000-3500. You will require passes for which two passports (only one visitor may not be allowed) and a copy of a photo Identity Card.

3. My niece is an agent there at Gangtok. VT email me if more details required. However, plenty of agents in Gangtok bazar. Even the cab driver from Siliguri or from New Jalpaijuri (train) or from Bagdogra (airport) will be able to suggest an agent.

4. Most of the sights of Gangtok are free. Here's a ready-made list:

1. Leisurely stroll along main market. It's totally pedestrianised.
    2. Enchey Monastry. Revered monastry.
    3. Directorate of Handloom & Handicraft for lovely carpets but expensive.
    4. Gangtok Ropeway.
    5. Tashi Viewpoint (6,100 ft.).
    6. Hanuman Tok (7,000 ft.).
    7. Ganesh Tok (6,100 ft.).
    8. Bakthang Waterfalls.
    9. Rumtek Monastry (24 kms. before reaching Gangtok).
    10. Tsomgo Lake - (38 kms. Go very early to avoid rush of tourist). Avail a yak ride/safari.
    11. Nathula Pass - (14,450 ft. 56 kms. Need Tourism Deptt. permission. Only Indian National allowed and that too, only from Wednesdays to Sundays).
    12. Plenty of Adventure Tourism available.
    13. Village Tourism available.
    14. Check out www.sikkimtourism.travel.
    15. Buys: Tibetan-made woollies & jackets; organic tea leaves; bright school bags made of woven cloth; shawls & stoles; Tibetan & Nepali music; Dansberg beer belonging to Bollywood actor Danny Denzongpa; 'churp' - hard & soft variety, made from yak's milk - real yummy ;-)
    16. Beware of shops selling *ancient* Buddha figures and other assorted Tibetan religious artifacts.
    17. If interested in photographing Mt. Khang-chen-Dzonga & Mt. Siniolchu, get up very early, pray for a clear day and head for Tashi Viewpoint. The peaks turn red and then golden as the first rays of the sun illuminates them. Much better than the sunrise from Tiger Hill, Darjeeling. If you look closely at Mt. Khang-chen-Dzonga, you may make out the sleeping posture of Lord Buddha with fingers clasped over the waist. The rounded mount is the head and the sharp portuberance is the feet.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Need help..?

by calvin7572 Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, can you please help me with the mobile number of your niece so I can contact her for the sight seeing of Nathula/tsongo lake..and what are the conditions of natula now..can I go there..? Also I wanted to know what would be the charges from NJP to gangtok as I am travelling with my family and in laws..so would like to book a private car.

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

1. Please use VT email for correspondences.

2. May I suggest you update your Profile page, please?

by sats72 Online Now Apr 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Dear Anil Pradhan,
    Need some information:
    1. We are planning to visit Gangtok (from Hyderabad) between 27th April 10AM to 1st May 10:30AM.
    2. We are planning to visit Nathula Pass on 28th or 29th Based on availability.
    3. From 29th Afternoon ( if we can make it to Nathula Pass on 28th itself).. we would like to visit Ravangla for overnight stay. Are buses available from Gangtok to Ravangla frequently? and safe?
    4. On 30th, stay and visit places close to Ravangla like Legship,Samdruptse,Temi Garden,Phur-Tsa-chu (Hot Springs). Return to Gangtok by evening 6 or 7pm.
    5. During the stay at Gangtok on 27th, 28th evening,29th morning ( before proceeding to Ravangla) and 30th Evening/1st May Morning..I would like to visit these places in Gangtok..
    Hurhuray Dara,Himalayan Zoological Park,Thakurbari Temple,. Enchey Monastry ,Bakthang Water Falls, Ganesh Tok, Hanuman Tok,Local Shopping on M G Marg.
    Tashi View Point(I want to miss this.. as if climate is not good, I will not be able to view sun rise).

6. Back from Gangtok to NJP at 10:30AM.

Will it be possible to visit all these places? Also, please tell me if I can purchase woolens like muflers, monkey caps, gloves etc in gangtok on day of arrival..Where can I buy (good bargains)?

-Regards,
    Satish

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Apr 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

1. Your itinerary is sound. You can achieve what you have planned out subject to the weather gods. For example, last 3 days in Darjeeling were foggy and rainy. I came away disappointed as I could not click the mighty Kanchanjunga!

2. The passes you mentioned are tricky as its opening depends on landslide ans snow conditions. Best is to go with an open mind and grab the opportunity if the passes are open.

3. The list of places mentioned by you in Gangtok are all possible.

4. Woollies are available in a mind-boggling range of variety in the Bhutai Bazar, the lower market.

5. I will send you detailed info on Tuesday as I am yet to reach home.

6. Take some woollies as it might get chilly in case it rains.

by sats72 Online Now Apr 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

thanks for your reply.I will wait for your updates on tuesday

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Apr 24, 2012 at 5:59 AM

1. We are planning to visit Gangtok (from Hyderabad) between 27th April 10AM to 1st May 10:30AM.

>>Hope you all are ready and willing!

2. We are planning to visit Nathula Pass on 28th or 29th Based on availability.

>>Not possible to predict. Once you land up at Gangtok, contact any tour operator. They will make the necessary arrangements. You may try out this one: +91-9233516878.

3. From 29th Afternoon (if we can make it to Nathula Pass on 28th itself).. we would like to visit Ravangla for overnight stay. Are buses available from Gangtok to Ravangla frequently? and safe?

>>Ask the tour operator once you reach Gangtok.

4. On 30th, stay and visit places close to Ravangla like Legship, Samdruptse, Temi Garden,Phur-Tsa-chu (Hot Springs). Return to Gangtok by evening 6 or 7pm.

>>Same as above.

5. During the stay at Gangtok on 27th, 28th evening,29th morning ( before proceeding to Ravangla) and 30th Evening/1st May Morning..I would like to visit these places in Gangtok.. Hurhuray Dara, Himalayan Zoological Park, Thakurbari Temple, Enchey Monastry, Bakthang Water Falls, Ganesh Tok, Hanuman Tok, Local Shopping on M G Marg. Tashi View Point (I want to miss this.. as if climate is not good, I will not be able to view sun rise).

>>All possible. Start with Tashi View Point, very early in the morning (if the day is clear), say about 6 am.

6. Back from Gangtok to NJP at 10:30AM.

Will it be possible to visit all these places? Also, please tell me if I can purchase woolens like muflers, monkey caps, gloves etc in gangtok on day of arrival..Where can I buy (good bargains)?

>>I have mentioned in my earlier post.

by sats72 Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Thank you very much sir..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gangtok