Gangtok Travel Answers

change location

shopping

by subir33 Online Now Nov 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM

i am travelling to gangtok . i heard tht woolen jackets and other woolen things are very cheap there . is tht true? wht will be the price approx? where to buy? can u giv me idea?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: shopping

by marven11 Online Now Nov 24, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Hi,
    While buying from local markets, don't forget to bargain with the shopkeepers, who generally quote higher price tags. Tibetan Handicrafts Centre is a trusted name to shop in Sikkim. If you are not good at bargaining, then go for government emporiums, where you will get decent price as well as quality assurance.

Thanks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Re: shopping

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Nov 24, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Any Tibetan market in Gangtok will do. The items there are genuine and *hand-made* normally. You'll get good stuff for your money. But yes, you have to bargain hard and pretend to walk away also - to return after a decent pause or the next day ;- Check each sq. cm minutely before buying. Sometimes, the workmanship, esp. machine stiching leaves much to be desired, eg., in a jacket, the stiching may not be exactly straight. Also, check the make of the zipper and zip and unzip a few times to ensure its quality. Feel the wool against your cheek to ensure that it is not too rough. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gangtok