Gangtok Travel Answers

change location
monty17's Profile Photo

bagdogra to gangtok to darjeeling to jortheng in mid march

by monty17 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM

hi we are 8 adults and 7 kids under 12 years visiting as per above itinerary for seven nights. mid march... we want to know 1) a good n cheap cab company to visit all the places.(innovas).....2) activities around the place. smhow not very keen for monastries and gardens untill and unless they have a great view and some historic importance.3) good adventure for the mentioned age group.3 local vegetarian cusines... please do not give the run on the mill places.4)formalities and documents required to visit nathula pass. thanks in advance amsure i will have more questions once i have the answers...

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: bagdogra to gangtok to darjeeling to jortheng in mid march

by davidjo Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM

http://www.sikkimtourism.travel/Webforms/General/Default.aspx I planned a trip to Sikkim last year and found this site prticularly helpful

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Please send me your private email address as i planned a 4 week trip to Sikkim last year and spent many months researching and i have notes on Gangtok which you may find useful, so i can forward it to you.

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 4:48 AM

monty17 wrote:
    hi we are 8 adults and 7 kids under 12 years visiting as per above itinerary for seven nights. mid march... we want to know 1) a good n cheap cab company to visit all the places.(innovas).....2) activities around the place. smhow not very keen for monastries and gardens untill and unless they have a great view and some historic importance.3) good adventure for the mentioned age group.3 local vegetarian cusines... please do not give the run on the mill places.4)formalities and documents required to visit nathula pass. thanks in advance amsure i will have more questions once i have the answers...

A. Moment you come out of Bagdogra Airport, there will be plenty of vehicles. You may book the vehicle there and then after explaining all your needs. Bargain hard.

B. DARJEELING:

"The Unmatched Queen of Hill Stations" - Darjeeling by anilpradhanshillong

C. MIRIK:

"Mirik - A Place Burnt By Fire & Desire" - Mirik by anilpradhanshillong

D. GANGTOK:

1. Leisurely stroll along main market. It's totally pedestrianised.

2. Enchey Monastry. Revered monastry.

3. Directorate of Handloom & Handicraft for lovely carpets but expensive.

4. Gangtok Ropeway.

5. Tashi Viewpoint (6,100 ft.).

6. Hanuman Tok (7,000 ft.).

7. Ganesh Tok (6,100 ft.).

8. Bakthang Waterfalls.

9. Rumtek Monastry (24 kms. before reaching Gangtok).

10. Tsomgo Lake - (38 kms. Go very early to avoid rush of tourist). Avail a yak ride/safari.

11. Nathula Pass - (14,450 ft. 56 kms. Need Tourism Deptt. permission. Only Indian National allowed and that too, only from Wednesdays to Sundays).

12. Plenty of Adventure Tourism available.

13. Village Tourism available.

14. Check out www.sikkimtourism.travel.

15. Buys: Tibetan-made woollies & jackets; organic tea leaves; bright school bags made of woven cloth; shawls & stoles; Tibetan & Nepali music; Dansberg beer belonging to  Bollywood actor Danny Denzongpa; 'churp' - hard & soft variety, made from yak's milk - real yummy ;-)

16. Beware of shops selling *ancient* Buddha figures and other assorted Tibetan religious artifacts.

17. If interested in photographing Mt. Khang-chen-Dzonga & Mt. Siniolchu, get up very early, pray for a clear day and head for Tashi Viewpoint. The peaks turn red and then golden as the first rays of the sun illuminates them. Much better than the sunrise from Tiger Hill, Darjeeling. If you look closely at Mt. Khang-chen-Dzonga, you may make out the sleeping posture of Lord Buddha with fingers clasped over the waist. The rounded mount is the head and the sharp portuberance is the feet.

E. Tour operators from Gangtok will complete the necessaary formalities for you. Keep your passport ready.

F. May find it difficult to get pure vegetarian food. Cold places, so people love and need meats. Not heard of any "local vegeterian cuisine". Local people hardly believe in vegetarianism.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gangtok