Galway

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Charlie's Bar

Cork 7 hours ago

I visited Charlie's Bar back in the early 80's. I would like to go back there if it is still open. I'm from Texas and hope to make a trip to Ireland in 2015. A visit to Cork is in my plans. Who can tell me about Charlie's Bar?

more
    • Mikhail_Shutov's Profile Photo

Where to go at night (particularly interested in Christmas night)

Dublin Dec 9, 2014 at 2:47 AM

We (me and my wife) are going to visit Dublin from 21st of December to 28th of December. We don't know where to go at Christmas Eve and at Christmas. We want to go to some pub os something alike and celebrate with other people to feel the Spirit of Christmas.
      We are not Irish :)

more
    • Planning the first trip

Ireland Dec 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

My wife, teenage son and myself are planning a trip to Ireland for June of 2015. This will be our first trip to Ireland, and we're looking for any advice that would help us not make the usual mistakes common for first-time visitors.

Our basic itinerary, as things stand now:

* Dublin; 3 nights, arriving on a Sunday and departing Wednesday
      * Cork; 1 night
      * Killarney; 2 nights
      * Galway; 2 nights

We'd be especially interested in understanding if we are allocating too much or little time in any particular area- I've a nagging thought that the 3d night in Dublin might be better spent elsewhere.

Our plan is to travel by rental car between cities. We're arriving at Dublin and departing from Shannon- again, as things are planned right now.

Any suggestions of places to visit outside of the standard "must see" attractions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

more
    • Great place to settle in Ireland for a few years with 3 preschool toddlers

Ireland Dec 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

We're traveling to Ireland for one to three years and want to set up in a small kid friendly town or quiet neighborhood of a city. We're partial to beaches over mountains, but with three kids we work from home (slow internet is fine) and stay close to home. So things like nightlife, restaurants, etc are all nice to have, but really not part of our equation. We'd trade a more kid friendly spot for one single adults might desire.

As for the neighborhood, I think many of us have a common vision of an idyllic child-friendly town or neighborhood. It would have people of all ages, and be as diverse as possible in Ireland. It would not be too crowded, nor too spread out. It would be a nice place to take a walk or ride a bike. It would be fine to drive to the grocery store once a week, ideally one with healthy, even organic food available.

As for further socializing the kids we would rent a home close to a nearby preschool. We have two boys and a girl, and would want them to all be able to attend the same school - with little drive time, if any. We are only talking preschool and kindergarten at this point. We want open minded and progressive, but not so open minded that one's brains fall out. We'd rather religion not play a big role in the school, but are not afraid of that as long as no one is too rigid. We like a school in a natural setting so the kids are in nature when possible, and a style that leans montessori as opposed to a teacher up front with a ruler...

Hope this helps bring some places to mind. Thanks in advance.

more
    • Activities & Nightlife

by donegalgirl1 Online Now Jul 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM

A group of 18 year olds going to Galway for a few days, what kind of activities could we do during the day that won't bore us ( more amusements and paintballing kinda craic than anything ) and wheres the best spots for night life ?

2 Answers Jul 29, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    • sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

Galway in a day

by sparkieplug24 Online Now Mar 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM

We are on a cruise in May and one of the Ports of Call is Galway. We are there from 8-6 but Im estimating we will be off the ship maybe 10-3 or 10-4 maximum. I have been looking at the tips and hints here and various other sites and there seems so much to see and do. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what are really must do activities baring in mind we have only 5-6 hours ashore

6 Answers May 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    • Good Friday in Galway

by xonessa487 Online Now Jan 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Good afternoon! My friend and I booked a trip to Ireland, arriving Palm Sunday and leaving Easter Sunday morning of this year. We will be in Galway on Good Friday and have heard that basically, everything in the country shuts down that day. Any suggestions on what we can do that day/night?

7 Answers Jan 17, 2014 at 2:32 AM
    • Galway emergency holiday apartment/room

by NidiaAlvarez Online Now Dec 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Hi, I have a very big problem here; me and my boyfriend had planned to spend the holidays together after 2 months apart (I had to move to England for study reasons), but his new housemate does not want me in their house (with very short notice). I have found a place to stay the first few days, but I am desperate to find a place in the city centre from the 26th of December to the 8th of January. It would be the best Christmas present for us. Anyone knows of a cheap comfy place that could be rented for those days? I hope Santa hears me, we have been very good all year round...

6 Answers Dec 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    • July 2014 Galway

by Yvodad Online Now Dec 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I am spending one week in Galway July 2014, doing the Connemara & Burren coach tours & Corrib Princess Cruise but would really like to find a 3rd coach tour (not including the open top Galway bus and not to the Islands). Also if there is an interesting manor house to visit. Any suggestions. We don't drive.

7 Answers Dec 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    • where to travel from pa. north in less than 4 hours

by mh18640 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

i lilve in n e pa. state, where to go thats no further than 3 1/2 hrs.

6 Answers Mar 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    • Should i move to Galway

by Forfour Online Now May 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hello everyone

I have been offered a job in Galway and it would be 2000euros a month.
      Is this enough to live on? How much is a nice flat per month? I've looked online and they seem to cost a bomb.
      Is the city busy.....?

Chris

3 Answers May 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    • Gas laughs

by sexyyoungwanns2k11 Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Clubs on a Tuesday and Wednesday night? x o x o

4 Answers Jun 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    • Failte tours

by rh7036 Online Now May 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Failte tour company out of Galway. I'm considering connecting with a few of their tours from Dublin. Thanks!

• feile 2011

by charlie111 Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Hi we have about 10 families travelling to the feile this year we would like to stay in galway city could anybody tell me is there a block of apartments of holiday homes/cottages that would cater for 10 families for the weekend of 24th to 26th june 2011, hotels are working out too expensive as most of the families would need 2 rooms to cater for adults and children ratio

2 Answers Apr 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    • schmechi's Profile Photo

Night bus Galway - Dublin airport

by schmechi Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I'm seeking alternatives to go back from Galway to Dublin airport at early morning. So I discovered www.citylink.ie and www.gobus.ie. Do you you have experiences with these bus operators? Are they reliable? And will it be necessary to reserve a seat in advance? Do you know, wether they've got onboard-toilets (Regarding to www.gobus.ie this operator have, but I do not know it about Citylink).

3 Answers Jul 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    • Galway to Castlebar

by celtic10 Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Hi
      Can anyone advise me on the most economical transport from Galway to Castlebar, how often buses run and what the cost would be for a single ticket hopefully tomorrow. Also what sort of weather would I expect in Castlebar and how does it compare to Cork weatherwise
      Thanks for all the help to me so far as I backpack through beautiful Ireland.
      Cheers
      Brendan

3 Answers Apr 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    • Good Friday Evening

by LtMorale Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Myself and a few friends are going to be on a Guided Tour of Ireland next week and will be spending the night in Galway on Good Friday. I just found out that ALL Pubs and Clubs are required to be closed on Good Friday. The tour operators must have forgotten to mention this when we booked :-)
      Any recommendations as to what to do on this night??
      Someone said that the Hotel bars are the only ones allowed to be open?? In the USA the hotel bars are consistently boring. Is the same true in Galway?? Am i allowed to go to another hotel bar if one is known to be better than the others - or am i restricted to only my hotel bar?

Thank you in advance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Answers Apr 11, 2011 at 2:10 AM
    • Football tickets

by celtic10 Online Now Apr 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Hi
      Can anyone tell me where I might get a ticket to the Allianz Football Leage game Galway v Dublin tomorrow and how much it will cost.
      I'm from Australia and backpacking. Also can anyone tell me what the best way and fare is from Dublin to Galway as I'm planning to leave Dublin in the morning. Also looking at cheap accommodation backpackers or B & B
      Cheers
      Brendan

1 Answer Apr 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    • Getting between Salthill and Galway City Center?

by corianderstem Online Now Apr 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I'm thinking about staying in the Salthill area rather than the city center, as it looks like a wonderful part of town.

How easy is it to get to the city center from there? I'll have a car but would rather not drive around the city, so would be walking (during daylight hours), taking a bus or getting a cab.

I'm basing myself in Galway for 3 days, with one day reserved for exploring the city, one day reserved for driving around Connemara, and the third day for a trip to the Aran Islands, so I don't know that I really *need* to be in the city center for convenience.

How long a walk is it, do you think? I walk at a good clip. Is there a frequent bus that goes between the two?

Thanks!

9 Answers Apr 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    • Bikes in Galway

by xaviermatt Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 6:41 PM

My girlfriend and I are staying in a B&B about 4 kilometers from Galway city in April. We were thinking of hiring bicycles so that we could park our car at the B&B and ride the bikes to and from town. Does anyone know if that's a good idea? Is it generally safe for cyclists on the roads/sidewalks inside and just outside the city? Is it safe to lock a bike around the city? Is it safe to ride at night?

Thanks for any advice or answers to my multiple questions!

4 Answers Mar 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    • Joyces Craft Shop

by jmoneill Online Now Jan 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Do you have an email address for Mark Joyce or Joyces Craft Shop. in 2002 I purchased a marble Galway hooker that I have broken and wish to replace.
      Thanks.
      Joyce O'Neill

3 Answers Jan 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    • schmechi's Profile Photo

Galway or Limerick

by schmechi Online Now Nov 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Which city is more worth seeing, Galway or Limerick? Unfortunately my time is limited and I can only afford one day in one of this cities.

I'd spent two nights in the selected city using it as a base for a daytrip to Cliffs of Moher, the other day would be free for sightseeing...

• globetrotting_man's Profile Photo

Sights on the way from Dublin to Galway

by globetrotting_man Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

We're going to be driving from Dublin to Galway on a weekday in late August. Couple questions: How long would it take if we just drove straight through. Are there any "must stop and see" sights along the way? Thanks!

3 Answers Jul 29, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    • nite life salthill

by lfc Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM

hi folks
      what is the nite life like in salthill.
      i am interested in pubs with live music
      thanks

2 Answers Jun 14, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    • cdean's Profile Photo

Accomodations in Galway City Center?

by cdean Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I'm looking for a centrally located hotel or B & B - for about a five night stay. I'd like to pay about 75 - 85 Euros per night on average. I'll be traveling alone so I'm looking for somewhere I'll feel comfortable coming and going. Also, is the Salthill area walking distance of the city center? That looks like it would have some moderately priced places to stay.. Thanks for the feedback!

4 Answers Jun 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    • How to get to Galway?

by tregs22 Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Hi

I am looking at visiting Galway in the summer but cannot seem to find any flights going from anywhere near where I live. Does anyone know if there are any airlines that fly to Galway from either Southampton or Bournemouth airports? If not these, then any airports near to these?

Thanks

Julie

4 Answers Jun 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM
    • Need an address

by aeastabrooks Online Now May 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

We stopped at Joyces Craft Shop and had a delightful time talking with the owner. He was a world of information - we made sure to stop at everything he said "Don't miss." I've got a book of Washington State I want to send him. I figure he shared his country with us - I'd love to share my state with him. If anyone has an address, I'd really appreciate it! Loved Ireland - loved the people - would love to go back again some time!

2 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Flea markets, Car boot sales & Antique markets/stores Sat June 26 & Sun June 27th?

by charlesracine Online Now May 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hello, does anyone have any information and detail on local/Galway Flea markets, Car boot sales & Antique markets or stores on Sat June 26 & Sun June 27st? We really enjoy the experience of a local market. We will have a car also, local public transportation works well too.

Thank you all for any & all comments.

1 Answer May 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    • IMPORTANT -- VOLCANIC ASH PROBLEM

by friendly3330 Online Now May 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM

TOday is Sunday, 5/16 and we are supposedly leaving the U.S. on 5/21 this Friday. The volcano is again spewing ash towards Ireland.

Does anyone know when the ash comes overhead does it cause breathing problems??

I have asthma and it would be important for me to find out. I am really sick of all these medical problems.

Thanks for the help again.....

3 Answers May 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    • IMPORTANT HOSPITAL INFORMATION

by friendly3330 Online Now Apr 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM

We are from the U.S. and on a tour coming to Galway, Cork, Wexford, and Dublin for our hotel stays and also visiting many small towns/villages along the way in May 2010. I know that Irish Gaelic and English are spoken here.

A serious question to anyone that can help please. I have a rare eye condition and have had 5 operations in the last 6 months. My eye doctor has said it is all right for me to travel. He is going to write a letter regarding my condition in case I need to go to hospital.

If I need to go to hospital, will there be any doctor there that can read my doctor's letter written in English? I know it sounds silly, but is extremely important to me for my safety.

My eye doctor does not think I will have any problems, but just in case. Thank you so much for the advice.

13 Answers May 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    • ATM QUETION IN GALWAY

by friendly3330 Online Now Apr 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM

We are coming to Galway and want to know if there are any Barclays ATM machines here?

We can use our ATM from the U.S. for free in that ATM machine. Thank you....

• MaggieDK's Profile Photo

Ferries to Inish Moore late march

by MaggieDK Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Me and my sister have planned to visit Inishmore late march. Being quite a control freak im already now trying to figure out how to get from one point to another, and it seem we might have stumbled across a little.. challenge!
      We arrive at Galway on March 29 in the afternoon, where we'll drop of our luggage at the B&B on Salthill. We only intend to stay in Galway over the night and then my plan was to take some tourist bus towards The Burren and Cliff of Moher and then be dropped of at Doolin where I noticed a ferry was supposed to sail from. But apparently this starts service in April ? This mean.. Unfortunately, that we need to catch a ferry from Galway City or Rosslyn/Spiddal? Can anyone verify this please. I have found the plans for the ferries from Rosslyn and its looks as if we can't make it in time, if we take one of the guided busstorus to Cliffs of Moher, so im afraid I might need to change our plans. Was thinking that maybe, just maybe, there was some sort of private charter from Doolin?

Also.. I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the tourist bus companies have a "passport" of some sort, where youre allowed to use their busses out one day, stay in a day overnight and take the bus back the next day, for the same price. I have been looking like a maniac, but can't find it again.

All help is much appreciated

Regards

Anne

1 Answer Mar 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    • Petra House or St Judes??

by take242003 Online Now Jan 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Petra House or St Judes?? Which one will give a more authentic experience while still being walking distance to pubs, shops??
      Thanks!

1 Answer Jan 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    • Best bnbs to stay in Galway close to City Centre?

by take242003 Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I am planning my first trip to Galway next month and would love any travel recommendations for authentic bnbs with kind hosts, comfy beds, and fabulous breakfasts. Any ideas would be great!

1 Answer Jan 21, 2010 at 4:31 AM