Galway Travel Answers

change location
cdean's Profile Photo

Accomodations in Galway City Center?

by cdean Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I'm looking for a centrally located hotel or B & B - for about a five night stay. I'd like to pay about 75 - 85 Euros per night on average. I'll be traveling alone so I'm looking for somewhere I'll feel comfortable coming and going. Also, is the Salthill area walking distance of the city center? That looks like it would have some moderately priced places to stay.. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Accomodations in Galway City Center?

by leics Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Look at

www.booking.com

and at the official Ireland tourist info site

discoverireland.ie/Accommoda...

you can search for Galway city or for Salthill.

Whether you consider Salthill to be within walking distance depends on how far you are happy to walk. It's around 2/3km, depending on where you will be based and where you want to go.

There are buses, of course. Route 1 here:

buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=5...

If you want to spend your evenings in the Galway pubs (with or without music) then it might be best to stay within Galway itself. I think I would.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

by IanMacPhail Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM

My wife has recently visited her brother who lives in Galway. She reckons it is a 30 minute walk to Galway from Salthill. However there are a lot of bed and breakfast places on the seafront on the road between Galway and Salthill. It`s nice there, you`ll enjoy it! :-)

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Wards Hotel is a reasonably priced hotel in Salthill, though not on the seafront:www.wardshotel.com
    The Victoria Hotel also reasonable but right in the city centre and not far from the train and bus stations: www.victoriahotelgalway.com
    You can often get better prices through booking agencies than directly from the hotel and it's always worth checking reviews before you book. If you are booking a hotel in Galway city centre aim for something in or around Eyre Sq.
    Walking to/from Salthill/Galway is dependent on your energy, stamina and where exactly in Salthill or the city you are setting out from. It's the kind of walk I would probably do once to get a feel for the location but otherwise would take the bus. I wouldn't advise walking that distance alone at night.

• Waoife's Profile Photo

by Waoife Online Now Jun 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Jurys Inn is right in the city centre and often has good rates - worth a look in my opinion :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines