Galway Travel Answers

change location

Street musician in Galway?

by krysiunia Online Now Jun 23, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Dear Forum Readers,

I have a question I was hoping someone from Galway might help me with.

I'm trying to identify a street musician I heard in Galway on a Sunday in May 2004.

My Polish musician friend and I listened to a street musician playing on an upright piano. He was playing mostly piano rags while we were listening.

He was on a pedestrian street with many restaurants in what seemed to be the old center of Galway, and brought the piano out of what I think was a restaurant, and played in front of a building made of gray stone, with a beautifully decorated entryway.

He had a hat on and was dressed in black, and had a red jacket as well, and a colorful striped woolen blanket on the ground.

On a photo I have, there is a sign that says that "Buon appetito & Cooke's" cafe and restaurants are around the corner. I don't see the sign of the actual restaurant he was playing in front of.

Does anyone know who this might be? Does he still play? Or the what the restaurant was where he was playing?

We'd like to know because he was our best memory of Galway, and we have a lousy recording of him playing something that we'd like to identify, and we'd like to identify him as well just so we know who he was.

Thanks for your help or ideas.

Greetings from
Christina, Bratislava

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Street musician in Galway?

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Jun 26, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Oddly enough, when we were in York last weekend we saw someone at an upright piano (with most of the wood removed so you could see the workings inside), also playing ragtime. Either there is a club of ragtime street musicians, or he is playing the touristy cities of Europe, in which case I estimate he'll make it to Prague by 2012 ;)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines