Galveston Island Travel Answers

change location

hurricane damage

by katebee Online Now Feb 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I have a civil engineer/city planner guest coming in at the end of February, 2009. He wants to see how Galveston and the area coped with IKE. Any suggestions what he can see? Is the Boliver Ferry operating? Are highways 87 and 124 on High Island open? Also I'd like feed him a good fish dinner. Suggestions much appreciated.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: hurricane damage

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Ferry's operating. 87 and 124 on the Bolivar Peninsula are both open.
    I was there at Christmas, and I was surprised with how much damage there still is on the island. Lots of little stuff: boats in the middle of fields and parking lots, debris on the beach, boarded up stores and lots of torn-up signs. I don't think that any of the piers have been rebuilt.
    The Strand is a bit of a ghost town. We went looking for a fish dinner that night and only found the chains by the cruise terminal (Willie G's, Joe's Crab Shack) open. There are some places in the hotels that should be open though.
    I didn't get any time on Crystal Beach, which I know was hit particularly hard, so I'd be interested to hear what you guys find there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM

TXDOT says that as of January 2009, the ferry was running on its normal schedule - see txdot.gov/travel/ferry_sched...

I can't tell you about High Island - geez, I was a child when I was there last...(I won't tell you how long that's been ;-) )

Fish dinner? Gaido's comes to mind, right on the Seawall...you know they reopened just days after the hurricane...albeit in the parking lot...where they fed very grateful first responders...

Have fun!

Bill

• Re: hurricane damage

by katebee Online Now Feb 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I was in Galveston yesterday. There is little evidence of damage in the city. A great deal is rebuilt. There is still evidence if you know what to look for. For example-it was low tide and the bay and wet lands are covered with muck--alas for the plump succulent oysters! I didn't find a good fish restaurant-just Gaidos which I find expensive and "not what it used to be." My favorites are not yet open. We took the ferry to Boliver and it was a scary revelation of what a hurricane can do. The penn. was swept clean and the debris is unbelievable as far as High Island. Galveston is about bankrupt (police took a 10% pay cut), but she is still a marvelous old lady. The Strand is still a great place to sit and people watch and the beaches are OK on the South end of the island though those along the Sea Wall are gone-rebuilding though. Massive numbers of heavy machiner. I do love that city.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Thanks for coming back and giving us first hand info! We may be down there in mid-October...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Galveston Island