Galveston Travel Answers

change location

frustrated

by lynnemul00 Online Now May 22, 2011 at 5:40 AM

We are booked to cruise on the 2nd june 2011 and cannot find travel from George Bush airport to Galveston Island,where we plan to stay for three days before cruising. This has already put me off Galveston before we even get there. We will be staying on 63rd street,three miles from port of Galveston. I cannot believe hire car companies are either closed on sat,sun or fully booked in such a large country. Shuttle service does not seem to pick up at the time our flight gets in,8.45pm. Help !!!!! Please.....

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: frustrated

by Donna_in_India Online Now May 22, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Hi - welcome to VT! Like any other airport in the country, regular taxis are available outside the airport. See the airport site - fly2houston.com/iah-Ground-T... - for various options.

You can also check on www.cruisecritic.com for suggestions. Go to the site, then boards/ports of call/north american homeports/gulf coast departures. You should be able to find information there.

Have a great cruise!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now May 22, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Bus Services - Express Shuttle USA
    Tel: +1 800 640 4826
    An efficient shuttle service is provided by Coach USA / Express Shuttle USA (tel: +1 713 523 8888) which serves the Houston area.
    A shuttle and limousine service operates on a regular basis between George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and Galveston

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now May 22, 2011 at 6:57 AM

The distance from IAH to Galveston is around 60 miles one way, so a taxi would be extremely expensive. One of the shuttle services is probably the best way to go. Unfortunately Texas in general isn't very public transportation conscious- everybody has a car. In that vein, you might want to check out the possibility of a cheap car rental for the whole time, it might work out to be less expensive depending on the amount of people traveling.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now May 22, 2011 at 7:56 AM

What "hire car companies" are you talking about being closed on Saturday and Sunday?

The car rental agencies at Bush are open 7 days a week until the last passenger with a reservation for that day is processed; hence my question on what companies you've looked at that are giving you trouble.

Note: in the US, they're called "rental car companies"..."hire car" implies to Americans a car with a driver, because we "rent" things but "hire" a person.

Or are you looking for a limo service, where someone takes you to Galveston? If so, look at
    http://www.ecsnationwide.com/
    It won't be cheap (yes, Galveston is a very long way from Bush), and it's geared to business travelers, but it's the car service I use for going to DFW Airport, and they are extremely reliable. They operate 24 hours a day (so long as you have a reservation). For a small fee, they'll pick you up at baggage claim (you know, the guys standing around with the cards with names on them), take you and your luggage to the car, and drive you to Galveston (if they agree to go there).

While they operate out of IAH, they don't list Galveston as a destination, but I am sure they serve a lot of places they don't list, so call or email them...

Oh, and TexasDave has a point...once you are in Galveston, don't you want to have a rent car? I don't think 63rd street is near anything (not even the beach since it's on the back side of the island), and you'll find the three days a bit boring if you can't drive around...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines