Galveston Travel Answers

change location

Houston to Galveston

by canadagirl8 Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM

We will be arriving at Bush airport later in the day and want to go to Galveston for the next day so we are looking for ideas on a nice area we can stop on the way to Galveston and have dinner and stay in a hotel overnight.We have never been to Houston and are concerned about looking for places in the dark- we are not going to get to Galveston before dark and are concerned about crime.
Please give us the best and safest route to take and where to go- also, ideas for where to stay in Galveston- we're on a long weekend trip in April.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Houston to Galveston

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You're looking at maybe a two-hour drive from Bush to Galveston if you're after rush hour...when are you planning on arriving at Bush?

There aren't really that many hotels in Galveston, and many are easily found, being on the main drags. Thus, I wouldn't have a lot of concern about crime. For example, if you stay at the Holiday Inn on Seawall Blvd, you would get on I-45 near Bush Airport and head south through Houston all the way down to Galveston (it deadends there, well, turns into Broadway), then turn off on 61st (big street) and take it down to Seawall Blvd (where it deadends against the Gulf), take a left on the hotel will be easily found on your left a little ways. You'd hardly have any opportunity to get into trouble.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn many years ago...it was OK, and definitely across the street from the beach. it looks like it was this one -
    ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/rs/1/e...

There's also a nice hotel right next door on Seawall (whose name I forget), so that there are two places that will be dead easy to find.

The "nicest" hotel used to be the Tremont House on the Strand -
    wyndham.com/hotels/GLSTH/mai...
    I don't know if it still is. I know that saleswomen from my company were more comfortable there as all rooms were interior to the hotel as opposed to places like the Holiday Inn (and most hotels in Galveston) where the rooms open onto outdoor passageways. I never stayed there; I just remember it had the coldest lobby in town ;-)

Still, there's been a lot of building out beyond 61st Street (i.e., beyond the seawall), and I don't know what else has been put up...

In any case, I'd just drive straight to Galveston, even at night...Galveston isn't that big, and it's actually pretty hard to get lost there...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Re: Houston to Galveston

by MacedonianUK Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

On my travel last April I stayed in Best Western beachfront Hotel in Galveston
    address:
    5914 Seawall Blvd
    Galveston, TX 77551-5888
    (409) 740-1261

To get from Bush International to Galveston is about 1.30min.
    I drive slow in USA, as is very different than Europe.. :)
    If you want to stay somewhere than I sugest kemah.
    We stayed nite in a nice butique Hotel
    Kemah Broadwalk Hotel
    number 8 Waterfront
    Kemah, TX 77565
    And had dinner next door at Landry's Bar & Gril.
    Best seafood dinner I ever tasted.

http://www.kemah.net/
    galveston.com/visitorscenter...

BTW I personaly think is very easy drive to Galveston from the airport and can be done, but if you cross the causeway in daylight is way nicer!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines