Galveston Travel Answers

change location

Galveston Cruise Ship Pier

by Hummingbirds Online Now Jan 2, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Are there Hotels near the Cruise Ship Pier ? If so does anyone know the names? Also how far is the Airport from the pier?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Galveston Cruise Ship Pier

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

1. The cruise terminals are close to the west end of the Strand - see the map at portofgalveston.com/cruisein...

2. While most hotels are on the Gulf side of the island (the Strand and cruise port are on the back side), the Tremont Hotel is about 2 blocks from cruise terminal #1 and not much farther to terminal #2 (i.e., a short walk). See wyndham.com/hotels/GLSTH/mai... (yes, this is a Wyndham property). The only complaint I ever heard about the Tremont was that it was air conditioned too much...this really isn't a big problem as problems go ;-)
    There may be other hotels and B&Bs on the back side, but I am not familiar with them. Do a search for 'hotel', 'galveston', and 'strand'.

3. There is no commercial airport in Galveston, just a general aviation airport. The nearest commercial airport is Hobby Airport in Houston, about 45 miles to the north up Interstate 45.

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Robin922's Profile Photo

Re: Galveston Cruise Ship Pier

by Robin922 Online Now Jan 15, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I've cruised out of there several times, and use the Commodore Hotel. Family owned, very friendly staff, on the water, and they will take you to the ship and pick you back up when you return if you wish!

The only thing is we drive down, however if you give them a call, I bet they would arrange transportation from the airport in Houston.

http://www.commodoreonthebeach.com/

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines