Galveston Travel Answers

change location
kellybum's Profile Photo

Are we up and running?

by kellybum Online Now Nov 7, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Hello

We are planning a trip to Texas next April and wondered how the clean up operation is coming along in Galveston. Galveston would be our last stop for 4 days of "chilling". I know Bob that our tourist dollars would be welcome.

Thanks
Ann, Dave and Alex Russell (UK)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Re: Are we up and running?

by ATXtraveler Online Now Nov 8, 2008 at 12:55 PM

You should be fine. Please do stop in and get a burger at Ocean Oso's on Stewart Beach. Let them know Mark from Baylor sent you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Are we up and running?

by katebee Online Now Feb 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I was in Galveston yesterday. There really isn't much damage in evidence other than the FEMA blue tarp roofs and a bit of debris. A great deal of rebuilding. We had trouble finding a good restaurant, my favorites still closed. We were searching for fish and for Mexican. There is always Gados on the seawall for fish, but I think they are overpriced and have slipped recently. I suggest sending an e=mail to the Galveston Chamber of Commerce. Yes, Galvestonians are desperate for your dollars, but very pleasant about the need. The city is about out of funds. I suggest riding the Boliver Ferry to the Boliver penn. You might have dolfins around the boat, platoons of pelicans, and in our case the ferry had to wait for a giant jack up rig to go through being positioned out into the Gulf with five ocean going tugs-fascinating. The other side of the ferry is the penn. and you get a scary feel for just what a hurricane can do---swept clean. The beach along the seawall is gone, but there are nice beaches at the south end of Galveston Island. The Strand (historic section) is always fun even if just to have a drink and watch the people go by. I love Galveston-sort of the "Red Neck Riviera."

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines