Galveston Travel Answers

change location

Crime

by kimmitt Online Now May 8, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Would it be safe for me and my 7 year old son to go to the beach. First time to Texas well at least galveston. Or is there anything to really worry about

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Crime

by bocmaxima Online Now May 9, 2008 at 7:27 AM

During the day, you'll be absolutely fine. Even in the evenings, during the warmer months, there are people around, so you also have little to worry about. Walking back through town may be concerning at night, but there's typically plenty of parking at the beaches and along the seawall.
    Keep in mind also that East Beach is the sort of "party beach" because it's the only one that allows alcohol. Stewart Beach is more family-oriented that way, but is also much more crowded. For a little more isolation, you have to head much further west, maybe to one of the pocket parks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Re: Crime

by ATXtraveler Online Now May 14, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Stewart Beach is a wonderful place for families, so I would recommend being as close as possible. Eat at Gaido's at least one time, and make sure to stop in for lunch at OceanOso's while visiting. Hope you have a great time!

• Re: Crime

by nomorewars Online Now May 17, 2008 at 2:46 AM

I've been living in the Houston area for the last five years. And during this time frame, I have made numerous trips to Galveston with my family (two small children). We have yet to encounter a problem. You & your son will be fine. During the summer months the police are out & about in full force. And during the days in which the city hosts special events (like concerts), extra police personnel from around the area are brought in to help out. Have fun!!!

• Re: Crime

by fun2sun Online Now Aug 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Crime happens at night after 11p.m. and not targeted toward tourist. Don't walk the beach late at night - just a precaution - it could be perfectly safe, but it is a tourist town. Look up events in town before you book your stay. Several event weekends are purely for getting intoxicated with plenty of police to keep you safe. It just would not be any fun for you to get around the Island and see the sights and food. The third weekend in April is an unofficial event that takes over the Island. I would hide inside my home and not leave. The police brought in national guard and extra police for this event that is not advertised. The reason - they don't book any rooms - and if they do they trash them - a national fraternity hook up event with stand still traffic for two days. I lived there for 20 years and managed a hotel for 14 years - we would not rent to anyone that weekend because of the damage was higher then any income we received. 22 gallons of trash just from the grounds after one evening....not the next day or evening - unreal

Two lower income housing areas in Galveston - and they have gangs each. The bloods and the cribs. They don't mess with tourist and all hotels and areas are not in the area of the housing projects.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines