Galveston Travel Answers

change location

Galveston Beachs....Dirty?

by bcsod4 Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 9:56 PM

I currently live in Missouri but, I am planning to move to Galveston over the summer. I have read many reviews about Galveston having dirty beachs, with muckey water. I have also read several reviews stating that this is not true or that the beach is clean during the summer. Please help this is a major factor in my move...

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Galveston Beachs....Dirty?

by thaire1 Online Now Feb 6, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I am a native Texas (live in Dallas), but have taken many a trip to Galveston. It's true what you've heard about the beach - murky water, lots of seaweed strewn along the beach - but the city is very good about keeping the beaches themselves clean. The town itself is very nice, eclectic, and laid-back. The people who live there have a lot of pride for their town - as you may know, the city was wiped out by a hurricane in 1900. But it was of course rebuilt and many of the older buildings and architecture are historic and beautiful. I think if you don't go to Galveston with the expectation of beautiful, pristine beaches, but enjoy it for what it is and keep an open mind, then you won't be disappointed. It is a fun place!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Galveston Beachs....Dirty?

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 6, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, the sands are clean but the water isn't. However, it is basically bath tub water (80's) in the summer, which is very refreshing considering the normal temp of the oceans.
    Galveston is also one of the few beaches in Texas where they've banned driving down the beach as well as drinking alcohol (although East Beach still allows the latter), which also makes the experience better. Plus it's still fairly undeveloped and you can pull down a side lane for beach access right off the highway. Galveston the town is very nice as well. Lots of historic stuff to see, and you can always hit some of the sites and shopping in Southeastern Houston.
    hth

• ridermirv's Profile Photo

RE: Galveston Beachs....Dirty?

by ridermirv Online Now Feb 7, 2007 at 10:51 AM

The beaches are clean. The water is murky, not because of pollution, but becuase of mud and silt from the rivers and the ship that flow into it. It's not murky everyday. On good days when the wind direction is right, the green water (clear water) can be all the way up to the beach.

Marc

• Re: Galveston Beachs....Dirty?

by fun2sun Online Now Aug 19, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Have you moved yet? You will be much warmer in Galveston. It is a very laid back tourist town. The off season brings the people that live there out to enjoy the food and fun. Very friendly town. The beach is not Miami. It looks more like Ft. Lauderdale beaches with some dirty sand and sometimes seaweed days -

I stopped swimming in the Gulf in Galveston - East Beach allows some topless nudity and do not take children there. The Moody's of Galveston created Moody Gardens - and they have fresh water pools over looking the gulf, they have water parks, beautiful eco friendly beautiful pyramids.

With all that said - moving to Galveston - here are two things you have to ready for:

100% humidity about 350 days a year - your body does get use to it
    If you live near the seawall you will have a breeze of the salty ocean wind everyday.

The salt air rust your car faster then anything I have seen - like two years rust will show up -

ok the good stuff is awesome food in the NON tourist restuarants where it tastes as good and the price is cheap -

the threat of hurricanes keeps you on your toes :)

Email me if you want to know more -

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines