Galveston Travel Answers

change location

day trips from galveston

by musaphir Online Now Mar 25, 2006 at 8:47 PM

Hi
i am planning a visit to galveston with my wife about mid april.based in galveston we feel we should some day trips to houston or texas city. are such options viable?

we need to know what would be economically mode of travel (other than car rental). do please let us know if gets hot in galveston by mid april.
musaphir

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

RE: day trips from galveston

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 25, 2006 at 9:45 PM

Taxis is the easiest and possibly only answer. They're slightly more popular there than in Houston.
    If you're on the east end of the island, you can catch the ferry to Port Bolivar. There's not a lot there, but you could conceivably kill a day there.
    Other than that, I couldn't see going anywhere out of Galveston, let alone staying in Galveston for an extended period, without having a car.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cromette's Profile Photo

RE: day trips from galveston

by cromette Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 6:12 AM

There's an old adage....if you don't like the weather, stick around it will change!

That is really true in southeast Texas in the "Spring" and again in the "Fall"...well for that matter, in the "Winter" too. LOL

It can get warm. My best suggestion is to monitor the weather forecast for your upcoming trip on:

www.weather.com

They're pretty good at guessing!

Galveston is a fun place! Where are you thinking of going on your day trips, specifically? What do you want to see/do?

You can arrange for a taxi, but it's liable to be expensive. If you're going to take several day trips, you may come out ahead renting a car. Public transportation is not very good.

Now, within Galveston, there is a trolley that runs between "The Strand" and the Seawall. This is very convenient.

Nearby and outside of Galveston there is, of course, NASA, San Jacinto (Historical stuff), Kemah Boardwalk, lots of museums and theatres and the zoo. Also, the restaurant scene in Houston is phenomenal!

• RE: RE: day trips from galveston

by musaphir Online Now Apr 8, 2006 at 3:27 AM

thanks cromette
    the idea of the day trips is to see the surrounding area as much as possible. Kemah boardwalk, nasa etc ought to be good. thanks for some of the suggestions.excellent starting point.

• RE: RE: day trips from galveston

by musaphir Online Now Apr 8, 2006 at 3:30 AM

thanks bocmaxima
    maybe it would be a good idea to hire a car after all. We will be a doing a rather long flight to get into galveston;hence i may not be up to it to drive immediately after the flight (approximately 24 hours including transits). wheels should open up more options to move around.

appreciate your suggestion.
    musaphir

• cromette's Profile Photo

RE: RE: day trips from galveston

by cromette Online Now Apr 8, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Taxi service in some areas is better than others. Talk to the taxi driver you get at the airport to get some ideas and to get a card with a phone number to call.

You don't want to get stuck somewhere waiting on a taxi for too long. The taxi driver should be able to give you some good advice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines