Galápagos Islands Travel Answers

change location

Land based tour available during high season?

by electricgerm Online Now Oct 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Hi

I am looking into land based tour on the Galapagos because sea sickness is a major concern. I have tickets to the islands between end of Dec 2012 and 5th Jan 2013. Its High High season I know, but I wonder, from people who's been there, what are the chances that we join some land based tours (we are 2 people, we can squeeze in, right?) after we have arrived there? I can live with seeing less of the islands, I can live with seeing only sites close to Santa Cruz island (which is where I am going to). What do you all think? Will I end up not joining any tour because they are all fully booked when I get there? What about cost, nobody (OK, I wasn't reading carefully) ever mention costs of those land based tours, anybody have any idea? I know they varies, but will they be cheaper than cruises in general anybody knows?

Thanks so much!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • FunMonty's Profile Photo

Re: Land based tour available during high season?

by FunMonty Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I hope you had a successful time in the Galapagos? Land tours in the Galapagos are often sold out ahead of time, just like cruises. Unless you're showing up and just want to do a series of day tours, (which it seems like you were thinking) it is a bit risky to show up in the Galapagos without a tour planned. Even so, I would highly recommend spending less time on Santa Cruz and more on San Cristobal and Isabela if you're planning to do day tours. Santa Cruz is the big town, and the vibe there isn't nearly as casual or friendly as the other islands. With that said there are islands you can only do day tours to from Santa Cruz (like Seymour). But if you stayed there the whole time you'd miss out on two of my favourite land highlights - Sierra Negra volcano on Isabela and Kicker Rock at San Cristobal. The cost of day tours varies. Something like a day trip, with boxed lunch, to North Seymour Island from Santa Cruz is going to cost $150/person. While visiting Los Tintoreras on Isabela Island will be around $20-30 I think (no lunch or anything...about 2 hours) and a snorkel trip to Kicker Rock from San Cristobal goes for around $50-75, depending if they include stops for bird watching, Isla Lobos and lunch.

(Edited for typos)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Galápagos Islands Travel Answer Locations