Galápagos Islands Travel Answers

change location

PLEASE HELP!

by Brett-Wallace Online Now Jul 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I really need expert advice on this!

Ok, I have asked questions about booking a trip to Galapagos Islands and I am more confused than ever, maybe am not explaining myself very well when asking the question so here goes………………

I know the Galapagos Islands are problematic when arranging trips to them, but I don’t know exactly why?

I know that you just cant do your own thing and that you must book a tour, the thing is how to arrange the tour?

We plan to fly to Quito or Guayaquil from London, I can see that we can book from trips from here but they are very very expensive!

So I am wondering if we could book tours around the Galapagos Islands when we arrive in Equador, or should be book in advance some way?

I am wondering if we can just arrive in the Galapagos Islands and book a tour when we arrive?

Are there tour many agencies in the Galapagos Islands offering tours around the Islands?

Can we just book when we get there?

Monika

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Re: PLEASE HELP!

by SOLODANCER Online Now Jul 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

If you're looking to save

Book your Galapagos portion of the trip when in Quito where

You have a wide array of agencies specializing on Galapagos to choose from and also compare

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: PLEASE HELP!

by mariano00 Online Now Jul 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Here you can see list of all Travel agencies in Qito - inquito.com/travelagencies.h...

As you can see, there are many of them, search through their websites and try to find best offer for you, but Galapagos are generally expensive and don't expect big difference in comparison to your local agencies!

Pay attention and read carefully through offers as agencies often don't include all costs (usually 100$ which you have to pay to enter Galapagos).

Of course, it would be wise to book as soon as possible as limited number of people is allowed to enter each island at same time and everything could be booked for one month period in advance.

• annsnook's Profile Photo

by annsnook Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Hi, I went from London to Galapagos in January 2010. It will cost a lot whatever you do....thing is, I felt it was worth paying a bit more (maybe about £500) to make sure everything went to plan - as it's a once in a lifetime....so we went with Bales and they arranged everything - we had no worries or stresses....we stayed in Quito for a few days and then we were on a boat for 7 days (called Eric - there are 3 of them - Eric, Letty and Flemingo [I think])) and they were the ones that covered most islands for the best price. They really looked after us well and I wd highly recommend it. Also, in January we got to see everything and were really lucky - think you have chosen the best time of year to go.

I notice when we were there you can stay in hotels in the populated Galapagos islands and get guided day trips to other islands but only to the closer islands - ie you wouldn't get to go to some of the most remote islands which had the rarest animals.....

-hope this helps and ask if u need more info...I did loads of research before I went to ensure a fantastic trip
    Ann

by jeanderudder Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Well we are in Quito now and you really shouldn't book anything from home! The best thing is to go to Puerto Ayora or Puerto Baquerizo Moreno in the Galapagos islands. The boats departs from there. We will do that and already checked here in Quito to have an idea. You get lots of last minutes offers. 1200 USD for a first class for 8 days is not really dificult to find. For the itinerary the best are the northern part including Genovesa island. For the south you can do it yourself but the northern tour includes most of the time already some of them.
    Not it also depends on how many days you got. If you have only 8 to 10 days then it is probably best to book ahead but count 2500USD for the same. We got here an offer of 1550USD for Queen of the Galapagos. One of the best first class. Just a wonderfull boat that normally cost 3500USD. But this one does the southern islands and we wand to see the northern ones.
    We will go there and find a last minute and I believe this will be the best option if you want to pay less.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

by malianrob Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

We also got to Santa Cruz where we stayed with a cousin and booked day trips to some of the closer islands. I found it much cheaper that way. The last minute deals are great. You can also book cruises to other further islands. You can make your trip cater to what you want to do. If you are on a budget and can be alittle flexible this is the way to go.

by loveallaround Online Now Aug 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

hey there, I've been doing tons of research on this and today I just found this woman on couchsurfing.com who wrote a 32 page guidebook on galapagos. Go to
    guidegecko.com/the-budget-lo...
    and download it for9. It's got some amazing tips on how to save for flight there, what to do and how to travel there alone without a tour or cruise for less than250/8days.
    Goodluck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Galápagos Islands Travel Answer Locations