change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Walks with small children

by oscarou Online Now Jul 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello !
      We are a couple with a 1 year old + 4 years old children.
      Will it possible to have nice walks (levadas or others) around Funchal with them (the smaller on my husband's back in an ergobaby carrier) ?
      Many thanks for your answer :)
      Elsa

more
    • Walks with small children

by oscarou Online Now Jul 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello !
      We are a couple with a 1 year old + 4 years old children.
      Will it possible to have nice walks (levadas or others) around Funchal with them (the smaller on my husband's back in an ergobaby carrier) ?
      Many thanks for your answer :)
      Elsa

3 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    • restaurants new years eve

by jaquis Online Now Nov 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We are visiting Funchal over the Christmas period arriving on 27th Dec. Is it necessary to book a restaurant for New Years Eve in advance? Can anyone recommend any?

3 Answers Nov 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    • Where to buy hiking shoes?

by WoWolke Online Now Oct 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Hallo,
      My hiking shoes are broken.
      Where can I buy hiking shoes close to Santana or Funchal?

Thanks
      Wolfgang

• music with some dancing for the over 40's

by June.Day1996 Online Now Sep 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I am visiting Madeira with my partner in October for 2 weeks and we are looking for somewhere to go with live music where you can dance as well if you would like. We are in our 40's

• rl1steve's Profile Photo

Porto Santa Maria Hotel

by rl1steve Online Now Aug 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Can anyone give me an update on the works in front of this hotel please?
      There are conflicting reports on the disruption caused.
      We are staying at this hotel on 9th September this year.
      Thank you in advance
      Steve

• about heating

by geki60 Online Now Jul 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

If we need to heat the apartment in winter

2 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    • One day visit

by loisjacko34 Online Now Jul 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

As I only have one day here, is there a small train or tourist bus that goes around the city to see the highlights. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Lois

3 Answers Jul 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    • rl1steve's Profile Photo

Hotel Porto Santa Maria

by rl1steve Online Now May 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

We are traveling to Funchal in September and staying at the Porto Santa Maria. I have heard mixed reports on the work been carried out on the sea front. Can any VT living there give me an update? Many thanks, Steve

16 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    • Takapiru's Profile Photo

Tablet SIM card 2 weeks?

by Takapiru Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Where can I get it? Price?

2 Answers Apr 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    • Restaurants in the area

by frankjeffries Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I'm planning to travel to the island of Madeira and have more or less decided which hotel to book (lots of sites to book through) but unsure if i should book to eat my meals at the hotel or risk and eat out. I'm finding it a little hard to find actual info about restaurants (prices, locations, cuisine types) and some of the restaurants i have found have very few reviews and no photos. Does anyone know where i can find ths kind of info and hopefully some photos of the restaurants in Madeira? Thanks

5 Answers Mar 27, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    • Daily Cannons fired?

by Spider1976 Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Hi

Does anyone know if there are daily cannons fired in Funchal at specific times?

1 Answer Feb 4, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    • Bus to ribeira brava area

by mattwood123 Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Hello,
      My girlfriend and I are staying at the hotel Estalagem Encumeada, located at FEITEIRAIS-SERRA DE AGUA 9350-000 between the 14th and 21st.

In an effort to save money, we'd like to get up there by bus from Funchal. I've read that there's a stop outside, but not had much luck finding out what bus goes there, when.

I see that it shouldn't be too hard to get to ribeira brava itself,, but can anybody advise upon how to make it up to the hotel?

Many thanks in advance!!!!!
      Matthew.

4 Answers Jan 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    • RESTUARANT FOR NEW YEAR'S EVE

by erosenberg Online Now Nov 6, 2011 at 3:50 AM

We are two couples aged 60+ from Norway, who are looking for a good restaurant to spend the New Year's Eve in Funchal. We are looking for a place with reasonably good food, and a good "ambiance" as the French put it. Not too formal, and possibly with some good music to take a spin on the dance floor ....
      We have heard that the fireworks in Funchal are fantastic, so we would of course prefer a place where we could come outside and watch this attraction as well.
      I should mention that this is our very first trip to Madeira, and that we arrive on the 31 December, so we have to book a table in advance to be sure to have somewhere to go.....
      We are staying in the centre of Funchal. (Avenida do Infante.) But we are prepared to go somewhere outside the centre if that is sounds more tempting.
      We would appreciate suggestions from more seasoned travellers, or even better, from the locals.

3 Answers Nov 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    • madeira regency club - flexi-time????

by goldtop1 Online Now Jun 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM

I stayed at the regency club for 10 days this month and liked the hotel and funchal. whilest there I was offered a flexitime contract for a one bed appartment.
      anyone used this this scheme or can recommend it?

1 Answer Jul 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    • What to do in Funchal

by michaeloc Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Hi all

We are going to Funchal on 30th June and I have read lots regarding what to do and see. Are there any hidden gems that we should include in our trip especially in Funchal. What are the best shopping areas and any advice on restaurants/bars worth a visit. I am also considering hiring a car so that we can see more of the island. Is driving about an good option. Are roads very busy or is it more a leisurely pace ? Any help would be very much appreciated. By the way we are staying at the Hotel Savoy Gardens

many thanks

Michael

5 Answers May 11, 2011 at 2:13 AM
    • swim, apartment and bringing Dog>

by johntirrell Online Now Mar 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Is the water warm enough to swim in Jan and Feb? What is the best area to rent an apartment in? How hard is it to bring a dog from the USA? Thanks John

5 Answers Mar 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    • AnnS's Profile Photo

Madeira Palacio Hotel

by AnnS Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Some years ago we had two wonderful holidays at the Madeira Palacio Hotel in Funchal. However, it closed in 2006 for renovations and doesn't seem to have re-opened. I've searched the Internet and looked on Google Earth, where I can see what appears to be a giant building site in that location. I would love to know what's happening with it so does anyone know?

2 Answers Mar 14, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    • The Cliff Bay Hotel, spa day pass

by joodee91 Online Now Jan 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Hi
      We stayed at The Cliff Bay a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the spa. We are returning to madeira later this year although we will be staying elsewhere. We were wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to visit The Cliff Bay spa as a non resident of the hotel and if so, how much it costs.
      Thanks in anticipation

• Bus Services in funchal

by mocall Online Now Jan 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Dear forun,
      I have twice stayed in Vlia Teresinha on Rua das Cruzes,
      it is quite a steep climb from Aveida do Mar. Just as
      I was leeving Last year I was informed that there was
      a Bus Service that ran along Rua das Cruzes I never saw
      this bus. Can someone advise me of the service No, full
      route, & stopping places please. this climb is nothing
      for the young & fit, but I am now 72 yrs old and this bus
      would be a God Send.
      I have booked again arriving February
      If you know of this bus please respond
      Seasonal Greetings
      mocall

2 Answers Jan 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    • Takapiru's Profile Photo

Bus from HotelEden/The Residence to the old Funchal city

by Takapiru Online Now Nov 13, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Is there some bus connection?
      The route and timetable?
      7 days tourist tickets?
      Fare price? Where to buy the ticket?

2 Answers Nov 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    • Funchal bus to Monte

by allatsea Online Now Oct 3, 2010 at 4:59 AM

We are in Funchal for one day (a Sunday) and want to go to Monte. My wife doesn't do cable cars so the idea is we take a bus. There seems to be a reasonable bus service but can anyone advise how long the bus trip takes.

1 Answer Oct 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    • Airport to Lido area

by jerry786 Online Now Sep 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Will be arriving at Madeira airport on 4 October before noon. What are the options of getting to the Lido area by public transportation? The Dorisol Hotels have a free shuttle service to the city. I'm wondering if I and my suitcase could get to one of these hotels from the city? I would stay at one of these hotels. Should I stay in the city and bus to the ocean area? Also wondering if the Lido area will be deserted,at this time of year? Obligado.

1 Answer Sep 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    • We 3 need a day driver for touring

by LindaNewby Online Now Aug 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM

On Nov. 29th we arrive and want to "see it all" with an English speaking driver (non smoker) in a full day trip. We three are travel agents and are looking to find a good resource for future guests as well.

7 Answers Oct 15, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    • what to do n where to go

by kymxx Online Now Jul 1, 2010 at 3:28 AM

could anyone tell me what there is to do n where to go in funchal also for kids as well and what there is there and is it a big place and and would i need to hire a car to get to these places any suggestions and any extra info will be appreciated thanks

3 Answers Jul 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    • janpetergeza's Profile Photo

volunteer programs

by janpetergeza Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Hi, guys!
      Do you know about the existence in Funchal of any volunteer organizations whose focus of interest is related to any of the following: social work, environment conservation. animal shelters? Is there a way of getting into touch with them and offering to work for them on a volunteer basis?
      Thank you
      Peter.

2 Answers Jul 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    • oradea_dream's Profile Photo

Cheap long-term boarding

by oradea_dream Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Dear fellow VT, for health reasons, I am planning to spend some time in Funchal, this heaven on earth, however, my budget only allows me to spend a limited some of money on accomodation. I envisage spending in Funchal at least 1 year.
      Please help me with concrete suggestions. Many thanks.
      Mircea

2 Answers Sep 5, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    • Atlantic gardens

by esheeha1 Online Now Jun 24, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I have booked a privately owned apartment on this complex for one week. After reading about the area I am a little concerned. There are accounts of a tunnel which we would have to walk through to get into town and people report there are not many amenities around. The apartment owner calls the area "west lido"... What is this area like etc etc...

many thanks

Emma

2 Answers Jun 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    • food and drink prices in funchal

by howardwoods Online Now Jun 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Hi, could anyone tell me how much a pint of beer is, and how much would I expect to pay on average for an evening meal for two. Many thanks.

1 Answer Jun 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    • Visiting Funchal

by ali_fatolahi Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Hi,

I'll be visting Funchal, Madeira next week for a conference. The conference venue is located in Tivoli Madeira Hotel, which I can find on Google map. The hotel however is named Vila Camacho, the website says it is located at Beco Do Amoreira 26 but I cannot locate this on Google map. I can say where is it approximately, it's about 10km from the conference venue but no online map shows the exact place. Can someone help me finding this place? I'm specially interested to know if there is bus trips available between the two locations?

Thanks,

- Ali

6 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    • royal savoy - funchal

by sam_999 Online Now May 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM

planning to visit royal savoy - could you inform me whether its walking distance to the town and shops. also how much it is by taxi from airport.

thanks

sam

2 Answers Jun 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM