Funchal Travel Answers

change location

Special Birthday Trip to Funchal

by Quillinglady Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 7:50 AM

Hello. I will be visiting Funchal for the first time in March, to co-incide with my special birthday (40th). We have our hotel booked, but decided just to take bed and breakfast, so we can eat out at the various restuarants. The trip is independent, I hate being packaged. Flights are booked and when we get to the airport will need to arrange a taxi to the hotel. Does anyone know, do the taxi's have set tariffs or do you need to agree a price before getting in?

Any recommendations for nice places to eat? I don't eat meat, but my husband does, but we both eat fish.

Also any recommendations for good cakes?

What is the best way to get around the island? Does the bus cover the island or is one best to use a taxi? We do not want to hire a car.

We would like to go to Porto Santo for the day, is this possible as an independent traveller?

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Sarah

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Special Birthday Trip to Funchal

by cidercyber Online Now Apr 20, 2006 at 1:52 PM

Taxi price is by the meter, depending on trafic conditions this should be about 25 Euros however I found out to my cost that travel on a Saturday evening incurs a 20% loading.

Local buses are plentiful but can take ages to get to some of the more remote parts of the island.

You may like to reconsider car hire, driving is easy, for instance the road from the airport to Funchal is dual carriageway,however some roads are very narrow and twisty, just take your time and enjoy the scenery.

For food, well we tried numerous restaraunts, most were OK but you do get a really big meal, do not accept the garlic bread often this will be served even if you do not ask for it, you will be charged up to 5 Euros.

You can take the ferry from Funchal to Porto Santo or fly if you wish.

I hope you have good legs.

Austin

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines