Funchal Travel Answers

change location

Restaurants in the area

by frankjeffries Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I'm planning to travel to the island of Madeira and have more or less decided which hotel to book (lots of sites to book through) but unsure if i should book to eat my meals at the hotel or risk and eat out. I'm finding it a little hard to find actual info about restaurants (prices, locations, cuisine types) and some of the restaurants i have found have very few reviews and no photos. Does anyone know where i can find ths kind of info and hopefully some photos of the restaurants in Madeira? Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants in the area

by leics Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Whilst you are waiting for members to reply with specific recommendations do browse through the restaurant reviews (all written by VT locals or visitors) for Madeira here:

Madeira Island Restaurants

or, more specifically, in Funchal:

Funchal Restaurants

They will give you an idea of what to expect as well as photos etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

You can also find a database of Madeira/Funchal restaurants on the official Portugal tourist info site here:

visitportugal.com/pturismo/S...

Some restaurants have websites so you can explore those and get an idea of what is available in what type of surroundings.

• windpaard's Profile Photo

by windpaard Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM

it depends where the hotel is located,if the hotel is located in funchal centrum then there is a lot of choise and also good prices.Funchal is a very cozy and interesting city. If you stay far from a city than is better to eat in the hotel

• Re: Restaurants in the area

by JonathanBlair1971 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Hi. Like someone else said it really depends on where you are staying in Madeira. If you are staying in a hotel in the country area then it might be a good idea to eat at the hotel because the option of restaurants is less. If you are staying in Funchal or more city areas then i would 100% recommend you eat out. There are so many restaurants to choose from and i think it would be a shame to go to Madeira and not experience the real traditional foods. Try using www.madeira-restaurants.com, they have a good list of places to eat and photos and descriptions.

• smonteiromota's Profile Photo

by smonteiromota Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:31 AM

You can always eat at the downtown restaurants, there are always some tipical Madeira food served. You can eat fried corn with roasted veal cubes, or chips with fried sword fish, or grilled fish. There are plenty of restaurants in the narrow streets of the downtown.
    At the entry of the "Mercado dos Lavradores" (the vegetables and fruit market of Funchal) you have a very tiny bar that serves the tipical "Carne de Vinha d'Alhos" (small pork cubes marinated in wine and garlic and then fried) in a bread.

At the websites you see the charm restaurants, they are good, but more expensive too. Walking by the narrow streets you will see lots of restaurants, cheaper and not so charming but well good too.

There is one, expensive, but very nice, at the slopes of the city. But i can't remember the name... sory.

You have a list here. Pay attention to the comments:

tripadvisor.com.br/Restauran...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines