Fukuoka-ken Travel Answers

change location

Fukuoka to Hakata

by elffie Online Now Apr 9, 2005 at 1:49 AM

Hi there!

I am confused here... I am goin gto fukuoka.. but my hotel seems to be nearer in JR hakata . but when i went to Hyperdia, it states 11hours apart?!

Pls help ...

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • goshawk301's Profile Photo

RE: Fukuoka to Hakata

by goshawk301 Online Now Apr 9, 2005 at 6:53 AM

No worries - JR Hakata is the main train station for the city of Fukuoka. Hakata is an old name for the eastern districts of the city, and the station got that name for being located there.

The "Fukuoka" of Hyperdia must be another station elsewhere in Japan. I didn't know that one existed.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • salisbury3933's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Fukuoka to Hakata

by salisbury3933 Online Now Apr 17, 2006 at 5:11 PM

A bit of a mystery really, but the answer will be that there are quite a few duplicated placenames throughout Japan. Usually if there are multiple placenames, the old name for the area will be put on the start of the station name. Sounds like there is another Fukuoka somewhere in Japan.

For example in Ehime Iyo-Saijo and Iyo-Mishima are two stations that fit this pattern. Iyo is the old name for Ehime, and it is attached on the front of the station name to distinguish it from Saijo in Hiroshima prefecture, and the various other Mishimas throughout Japan.

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Fukuoka to Hakata

by salisbury3933 Online Now Apr 17, 2006 at 5:12 PM

By the way, if you are flying into Fukuoka, you can get the subway from the domestic terminal to Hakata. There's a free bus from the international to the domestic terminal.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Fukuoka-ken Travel Answer Locations