Fukuoka Travel Answers

change location
kwipex's Profile Photo

Fukuoka vs Osaka

by kwipex Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Hi, I'd like to visit Fukuoka in November. Would like to know how Fukuoka is like compared to Osaka. I had a great time in Osaka shopping because the shopping was very compacted into a shopping strip eg. Shinsaibashi-suji. Whether rain or cold, it was easy to just nip into shops as I walked down the covered walkway.
Does Fukuoka have a shopping strip like Osaka? Reason I ask this question is because I'm a shopping tourist, and dislike 'scattered' shopping as I don't like to walk too much to shop.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Re: Fukuoka vs Osaka

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 4:16 AM

I really don't like shopping myself so may not be the best person to answer your question, but on our last visit to Fukuoka we had a look at the Tenjin area which was in my opinion wall to wall shops and restaurants. If you are really into shopping you may like it there. Fukuoka also has a tower with a view, a beach, a ruined castle, temples and lovely parks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM

By the wat the Nakasu area of Fukuoka also has a lot of shops and there is an excellent easy to use subway system in Fukuoka. If you dislike walking you can easily use that to get around. Tenjin and Nakasu are on the same line and not far apart.

• kwipex's Profile Photo

by kwipex Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Thanks Irene and Fugu for your help. I am surfing around and will make up my mind soon. just that I didn't like places like Tokyo which had the shopping a bit spread out. When travelling I don't have that much time to spare so I like to hit the shopping hard, and then go off to see some sights.

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Fukuoka is not as large as Osaka, and doesn't offer as many unique shopping opportunities as Osaka does. That said, the central shopping area of Fukuoka is in and around Nishitetsu Fukuoka Station‎. The more unique shopping opportunities are found West of the station on the smaller streets of Tenjin and Daimyo wards. There is also the large mall mall called Canal City within walking distance of the station to the East towards Hakata.

Osaka's shopping is not so much scattered as it is vast, it forms a long chain down Midosuji (street) from Umeda station to Namba. Umeda and Osaka station have all the large dept. stores and newly built shopping complexes such as the Isetan complex on top of Osaka Stn. For high concentration in one area, I think you can't beat Umeda.
    Then we have the wide boulevard of shopping you referred to, Shinsaibashi, which runs along Midosuji (street), underground, and scatters off along the side streets. Namba has the covered shopping street (which you refer to, and runs to Shinsaibashi stn.) as well as Namba Parks and Namba Walk shopping malls. You also have the trendy and hip areas of Nishishinsaibashi and the street running between Yotsubashi and Honmachi stations (Yotsubashi line) Parallel to Midosuji (street).

Using Google maps I can measure out 4.3 KM of shopping. Yes, it requires walking, but you have the train in between and taxis as well.

• kwipex's Profile Photo

by kwipex Online Now Jun 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

SfumatoPants, Yes, that is the reason I liked Osaka very much. The concentration of shops in Umeda, and Shinsaibashi suji, made shopping a breeze. That sheer volume of shops crowded into a couple of malls or along a street made shopping and the navigation required, an easy task.

So I gather from your reply that the shopping in Fukuoka is not as dense/concentrated as Osaka, nor is the city as large as Osaka.

I am thinking very much that I'll make a trip to Osaka again instead of Fukuoka then as shopping is crucial to my trip.

Thanks!!

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Jun 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM

As nice as Fukuoka is, for shopping it's just not comparable to Osaka. Although Tokyo may have more retail space than Osaka, I think that Osaka offers a better shopping experience than Tokyo for the very fact you point out - Tokyo is scattered while Osaka is heavily concentrated - both offering the same goods.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines