Fukuoka Travel Answers

change location
CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Which tour in Fukuoka?

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Sep 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I will be in Fukuoka for one day via cruise ship and trying to decide between these 2 tours. Which would you choose?

Tour #1: Kushida Shrine, Yusentai Garden, and Hakata Machiya Folk Museum
Tour #2: Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine, Kyushu National Museum

Also, if you have recommendations for a private tour, I'd love to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Which tour in Fukuoka?

by Donna_in_India Online Now Sep 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Hi Rebecca - check www.cruisecritic.com for private tour recommendations and all cruise related info. Go to the site, then Boards, then Ports of Call. Have a great cruise!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which tour in Fukuoka?

by euskaldun Online Now Sep 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I personally would opt for the tour to Dazaifu, even if it is further from the port and getting there will be somewhat more time consuming. However, the Tenmangu Shrine is one of the most important historically in Japan, although the building itself is not really impressive. On the other hand, the Kyushu National Museum is housed in a stunning modern building with nice collections related to Japanese history, culture and crafts. I imagine the tour will also include a visit to the Komyozenji Temple, as it is really close to those attractions, and its zen rock and moss garden is really beautiful.

The Yusentei Garden is a nice Japanese garden, but there are many others which are larger and more interesting. The same goes for the Kushida Shrine. They might be of interest to you if you have not visited other Japanese Gardens or shrines, though. I have not been to the Hkata Machiya Folk Museum.

Enjoy your trip.

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Sep 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM

euskaldun - Thanks for the prompt reply! I was leaning towards that tour already so you have reinforced my inclination!

Donna - Thanks for the tip as well! I'm Cruise Critic too but wanted to get some opinions from VT members.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Oct 1, 2010 at 8:05 AM

It depends on what your interests are, but I'd definitely go with #2. Dazaifu tenmangu is a must see place. :)

1 member found this helpful

• TetsuOtakujapan's Profile Photo

by TetsuOtakujapan Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Hello.I'm TetsuOtakujapan,a new member of VT.
    I live in Fukuoka,Japan.

As for your question,my answer is #2 Dazaifu Tenmangu and Kyushu national museum.

Dazaifu Tenmangu is shrine one of the most famous shrine in Japan.It has long history and was built in 919.

Dazaifu Tenmangu shrine is worshiped as a god of study in Japan,therefore A lot of examinees from all over Japan visit there before they take an examination.

Kyushu National Museum has great collection.

Also,when you come to Fukuoka,please try to eat delicious fishes and Hakata Ramen noodle.Although you can eat them everywhere,I recommend to eat them at Nakasu.

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Feb 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Welcome to VT, TetsuOtakujapan! Thanks for your helpful advice!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines