Fukuoka Travel Answers

change location
dlandt's Profile Photo

Where bnesides Kumamoto to visit?

by dlandt Online Now Oct 18, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I apologize for the multiple postings, but my wife and I will be travelling in Kyushu with our two year old daughter. We have friends in Kumamoto and will be spending the bulk of our time there, but would also like to spend 1-2 nights in another location. Nagasaki and Beppu are the two places which occur to me, but we are open to others. Does anyone else have a good idea, we go for both relaxation and sightseeing.

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Re: Where bnesides Kumamoto to visit?

by pink-eclair Online Now Oct 18, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Hi there, I'm not coming from these areas but I found web site it might useful for you
    for beppu: http://www.city.beppu.oita.jp

I'm not sure when you will go there but if you are planing on around end or new years you better checked out. train might be pack, shop might be closing. And also if you are traveling by special express train(inside of japan) they have package for foreigner but you have to purchase in advance.
    hopefully it will help!!

yuri

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dlandt's Profile Photo

Re: Where bnesides Kumamoto to visit?

by dlandt Online Now Oct 18, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Hi Yuri, Have you been there? How do the hot springs stack up against other local attractions?

by pink-eclair Online Now Oct 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM

I never been there but my sister used to live in o-ita......I will ask if she knows about something but It's takes time cause I'm not living in Jappan. So, when are you going there?

yuri

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Oct 19, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Just before New Year's is when we will be there. I think we are leaning towards Nagasaki. It seems to have more to do, but we have time to change our minds. I know it might be a little cold, but we can go to a volcano and warm up.

Dave

by pink-eclair Online Now Oct 20, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Well, you have still time then.......I don't know if you are awear of Japan but around this time of the year people move around quite bit,as you know we have a lot of population in a small island, you can imaging how bad it is for taking trip on a air or on the grand. so if you are planing to use public transportation (express train called shinkansen) make sure that you purchace in advance. since I know you have time I will ask my sister when I get there in mid November if you still need informations.

yuri

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Oct 21, 2007 at 6:03 AM

Right now we're leaning towards Nagasaki. My wife is Japanese so she gets to deal with the travel headaches there. I consider it a bit of payback for a dozen trips to Europe and Russia where I had to translate everything, explain everything, deal with things etc. :) What do you know about Mount Aso? I've never seen a volcano before.

• gogonicetrip's Profile Photo

by gogonicetrip Online Now Oct 22, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Hi Dave
    I will you to my place Kyushu.
    When will you visit Kyushu?
    In any case, I would like to recommend Nagasaki first and Beppu second.
    If you will visit the following my web-site, you may have some information for your plan.
    Further information; please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Masa

by gogonicetrip Online Now Oct 22, 2007 at 4:00 AM

Hi Dave

Sorry, I forgot to show my web-sit that http://www.kyushu-tourist.com

Masa

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Oct 23, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Hi Masa,

What do you mean by this?

"I will you to my place Kyushu."

We'll be travelling just after New Year's, probably the 2nd -6th or somethign similar. Generally speaking it sounds like Nagasaki is the way to go. I've never been there, just in Sasebo. or 3 days in Kumamoto do we think Kumamoto
    Castle and Mt. Aso, but maybe something else if you know it.

VERY nice website! Did you make it yourself?

Dave

by gogonicetrip Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 8:33 PM

Hi Dave
    Sorry, the word “welcome” was missing between will and you in the first sentence.
    Kumamoto castle and Mt. Aso are another must visit sites I would like to recommend.
    Why will you visit Japan during a New Year period?
    You may have problems during that period, for example accommodations may be full, traffic jam, crowded tourist attractions such as shrines, temples and castles …

Website has been made myself, it still have to be updated.

Masa

by pink-eclair Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Ha ha ha, I think you did good investment cause I would be horrified even just thinking about image of crowd people. Enjoy visiting Japan.

yuri

P.s I never thought about watching volcano.......uh~n interesting :)

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Oct 25, 2007 at 7:51 AM

Yuri --- You know Mt. Aso looks great. Beautiful onsenns and ryokans in the area. My wife has been doing the research and we opted for more time in Kumamoto and less in Nagasaki. (I've already seen more Dutch churches than a Dutchman and the shippo meal looks more Japanese) It's good for balance this way and she came to the US right after college so there is a lot of Japan she hasn't seen yet. If you hate crowds DON'T go to Asakusa in Tokyo... what a nightmare that was. I feel the same way.

Masa --- We're visiting our family of course, for New Year's. We will arrive a few days before and spend the holiday with them in Tokushima and then go to Kumamoto via Okata, travel back to the airport by way of Osaka. We like to travel because having me there is hard for them since I don't speak Japanese. I can't take part in conversations, order off menus etc. Pretty much they keep passing me beef and beer, so it gives them a break when we travel.

Thank you both!

Dave

by micmik Online Now Nov 20, 2008 at 2:05 AM

May I know what's the travelling time between the major cities such as :

Fukuoka-Kumamoto
    Kumamoto-Mt Aso
    Mt Aso - Beppu
    Beppu - Fukuoka?

Should I be based somewhere and make day-trips to these places? I have a week in Fukuoka..

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Nov 20, 2008 at 7:36 AM

It took us a little more than two hours to DRIVE to Mt. Aso. My time may be off because we stopped to see a monkey show, but I think it is pretty close. If my memory serves, we were about 40% of the way to Beppu, so add another three hours. We went to Kumamoto via another route than Fukuoka. Try the basashi while you are there. There is also one of Japan's big three castles in Kumamoto.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines