Fujairah Travel Answers

change location

Getting around in Fujairah

by MelBel Online Now Jul 16, 2006 at 5:19 AM

After reading about the crazy driving in Fujairah - and me being a nervous driver - are taxis a safe and reliable (not to mention cheap) alternative to driving a car myself?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • DubaiRes's Profile Photo

RE: Getting around in Fujairah

by DubaiRes Online Now Jul 16, 2006 at 5:23 AM

Generally, its crazy driving ... whichever Emirate you are in. Taxis safe? No, some can cause indigestion. Reliable? Yes, I guess as long as you are doing a substantial run. As long as you drive with great care and caution, guess you could master the roads!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dave.richards's Profile Photo

RE: Getting around in Fujairah

by dave.richards Online Now Jul 16, 2006 at 11:17 AM

Hi,
    I live in the Uk and drive on the left. Most drivers here dont expect others to take risks... overtaking on hills and bends, undertaking, pulling out from a side road with little space etc. In the UAE this is almost the norm. I soon get used to driving on the right and I hire a car on every visit. You expect others to take risks, drive fast and so on. Within a short space of time you will find that you will be driving exactly the same.
    Taxis within Sharjah and Dubai are cheap and should have a fixed price for travel within an emirate. Book with you hotel if you can to ensure that the taxi is licensed. Many taxis may refuse to take you from Dubai to Sharjah as it takes such a long time to get back owing to traffic congestion.
    My advice? Hire a car but be aware others others and the risks they take. Read my other Fujairah tips for more info' on driving here.
    That said, UAE drivers are usually very proficient and know what they are doing. Avoid though Dubai and Emirates Road during the rush hour and avoid the Masafi/Dibba road when dark.
    Dave

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Fujairah