Fresno Travel Answers

change location

Bus travel between LA/Long Beach to Fresno

by eugeniomaguire Online Now Sep 8, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Hi there, I live in Australia and have been invited to a wedding in Fresno... Its very expensive to fly up there is there a Bus I can take or a rideshare system.. .I guess I should arrive a day or so before hand..

I was thinking of flying from Santa Ana to San Jose as it does not look as far is it possible to get a bus from San Jose/ San Francisco to Fresno....

many thanks

Eugene

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • chris2x's Profile Photo

Re: Bus travel between LA/Long Beach to Fresno

by chris2x Online Now Sep 8, 2008 at 8:25 PM

It might be possible to get a bus from Santa Ana to San Jose, but I would check out Southwest airlines. You will want to book a ticket way in advance to get the best fares.

---

Chris Christensen
    Amateur Traveler podcast

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Sep 8, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Both our daughters are Fresno State grads so made the trip from LA to Fresno many times. Check Amtrak. You can take the train which will be a combination of Amtrak Bus and Amtrak Train.

http://tickets.amtrak.com/

Type in Los Angeles for Departure and Fresno for Arrival. You will notice it is bus service to Bakersfield and then train on to Fresno.

There is probably Greyhound bus service but I've not felt safe on the bus for decades. The main problem is the stations are always in the very worst sections of towns. Trains aren't always great but at least they are safe, especially during the daylight hours. The suggestion above to check Southwest Airlines is also excellent.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Sep 9, 2008 at 7:42 AM

You would really be wasting your time flying from LA to SF and then taking a bus to Fresno. You can take the Greyhound from Los Angeles to Fresno for a cost of29.00 non refundable ticket to34.00 for a refundable tickets. Bus departures are all day but the best one is 0900 arriving 1335, or 1105 arriving 1620 or 1325 arriving 1840. There are others but the one above are probably the best with the shortest amount of time. If you go from Long Beach you will have to go through and change in Los Angeles and the travel time will be longer. As for the train, there are many, here are a few, leaving LA by Amtrak bus at 0745 arriving Bakersfield 1000, then transfering to the train at 1015 arriving Fresno at 1216, or departing LA at 1045 arriving Bakersfield 1303 departing Bakersfield by train at 1320 arriving Fresno at 1516 or departing LA at 1315 arriving Bakersfield 1530, departing Bakersfield by train at 1545 arriving Fresno at 1746 the cost31.00. Since most of the Amtrak trip is by bus, you might as well just take the Greyhound and get there with no changes along the way.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Sep 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Amtrak works great as Beausoleil has mentioned. I have used it several times when the Fresno airport was fogged in and I wanted to get home from LA. It is very relaxing and you have lots of room on both the bus and the train.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Sep 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Just finished reading the above post - I think the Amtrak buses are nicer than the Greyhound buses

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines