Fresno Travel Answers

change location

Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by tcell Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 8:07 PM

We are a interacial couple looking at moving to the fresno/clovis area of CA. Is this a good idea or not?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • iwys's Profile Photo

RE: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by iwys Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 8:14 PM

Why not? When I was in Fresno, it seemed to be quite a cosmopolitan community, with a high percentage of Mexicans.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jeannette1's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by Jeannette1 Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 8:17 PM

Clovis is a red-neck conservative community but I think you'll be OK. Even conservative areas of California are pretty acceptable of interracial marriages.
    Good luck!
    J.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by kathymof Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 8:44 PM

Parts of just about any community can be red-neck - it is more the people than the community. I have found the entire Fresno-Clovis area to be very accepting but Clovis does have a reputation for being a bit more rural and there are a few bars in downtown Clovis that are probably best avoided - at least they were in the 80s. The foothill areas are more iffy as they are a real mix of the liberal and very conservative but if you are in town, you would probably have to invite any trouble you got into. I live in a very ethnically and racially mixed neighborhood and everyone gets along fine - we can truly rely on each other. The younger crowd pays no attention to it at all.

Where are you moving from?

I also like Fresno/Clovis. The biggest problem we have here is air quality, not predjudice.

• RE: RE: RE: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by tcell Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 10:46 PM

We are moving/considering moving from the midwest.(Detroit MI.) Area to the central CA area. The water quality here in Detroit is good. Lately the water here has been overclorinated & flouridated to the point that you can smell a bleach type odor coming out of the faucet when you open the tap. Still the water doesn't taste bad though. The air quality for the most part is not too bad.The air here usually is not visible and does not have any odor 99% of the time. In the northwest part of the city that is. The southwest part of the city is heavy industry. There you can both see and smell a heavy industrial odor in the air most of the time. Michigan is a beautiful state. However,It is also one of the most prejudiced states. So I have heard and unfortunately also have experienced. Fortunately,the good people here more then make up for the bad. What we don't want to do is "jump out of the frying pan into the fire".Thank you for your replies. tcell.

• RE: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by bigregret Online Now Feb 9, 2007 at 9:20 AM

don't do it! it has all the bad things of a big city, traffic, BAD AIR (worse in the nation) but it's run like a hicktown with rampant corruption, the city planning department is run by the sprawl king developers!
    ANY other town in CA would be better.

• themarla's Profile Photo

RE: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by themarla Online Now Mar 16, 2007 at 4:15 PM

I think you are entitled to know the truth about Fresno/Clovis. When I could not get help regarding what I uncovered, I created a web page. Please take a look at this:

www.myspace.com/marlalk

• MarshallFritz's Profile Photo

Re: Clovis/Fresno or elsewhere?

by MarshallFritz Online Now May 30, 2007 at 2:16 AM

My daughter and son-in-law are a mixed
    (white-black) couple. They've lived in
    Clovis for 18 years without incident.

Re. being a hick town, I'm not so sure.
    I grew up and lived most of my life in
    the Los Angeles area; have lived overseas;