Freiburg Travel Answers

change location
nomad7890's Profile Photo

Have addresses changed since 1987 - need to confirm an old address in Freiburg

by nomad7890 Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Some time ago we hosted a team from Freiburg, Germany and had a very nice week with them. We housed all the players with the team my husband used to coach, and two coaches plus two players stayed with us. We all had a great week, and one of the coaches, Fritz, gave me his card.

I just ran into the card and tried to Google the address - I will use an "X" for the street number, but this is the original, then the Google version:

Kolbeweg X, 7800 Freiburg

Google pulls up:
Maximilian-Kolbe-Weg X, 79100 Freiburg im Breisgau

Is Kolbeweg now Maximilian-Kolbe-Web ... and is 7800 now 79100 ?
I realize I've had this card for a very very long time.

Also - is the correct name for Freiburg "Freiburg im Breisgau".

Looks right because they were vey close to the black forest.

I'd love to send him a note, but realize I'm dealing with a very old address.

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • ozulrike's Profile Photo

Re: Have addresses changed since 1987 - need to confirm an old address in Freiburg

by ozulrike Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM

After the reunion with East Germany there was a need to introduce a new zip code system, so think 79100 should be correct. Regarding 'im Breisgau', there might be another Freiburg somewhere in the east part and so they added the region. Not sure about the street name, but it's not that unusual that some streets get renamed.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Have addresses changed since 1987 - need to confirm an old address in Freiburg

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

There are two Freiburgs in Germany, so far as I know. One is in the former West Germany, which is the Freiburg im Breisgau (which is the one in the Black Forest). The other Freiburg (Elbe)in the former East Germany. The one you are looking for would be in the 791xx range

After the re-unification of Germany (specifically in 1993), the country went from a 4-digit to 5-digit postal code. Postal codes had duplicates in both parts of the country, and Deutsche Post used this as an opportunity to "modernize" the postal code and introduced one that better met their needs. I remember when this happened as I was working as a consultant at Deutsche Post (technically Deutsche Bundespost - Postdienst) at the time.

All that being said, there is a pretty good chance that you have tracked down the right address.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM

The postcode sounds correct for that part of Germany, you could also check the White pages of the German phone directory for his address , type weisseseiten in google.

• Potato-Brigade's Profile Photo

by Potato-Brigade Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 1:27 AM

I've lived in Freiburg im Breisgau myself. I'm sure that I found another Freiburg (in Germany) on the map but I can't for the life of me find it now. Note also that there is a "Frankfurt am Main" and a "Frankfurt am Oder" - towns called Frankfurt on two seperate rivers, the Main and the Oder.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Martha, is this the same coach you had asked me find out his address last year just before the meeting in Karlsruhe? I wasn't able to find him through his football club then. But if you now found the card with his old address, you can try again.
    Freiburg is the same Freiburg, just with the new zip code, and it looks like there is no Kolbeweg, just a Maximilian Kolbe Weg.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Checked the zip code register. Postcode for Maximilian-Kolbe-Weg in Freiburg im Breisgau is 79100.

by Kathrin_E Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Checked the zip code register. Postcode for Maximilian-Kolbe-Weg in Freiburg im Breisgau is 79100.

by Kathrin_E Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Apologies for double posting.

• nomad7890's Profile Photo

by nomad7890 Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Thank you for all responses!

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

If the club was SC Freiburg and trainer Fritz' last name starts with F, and he played the guitar - he has not been coach there since 1989. He now works in Trier.

by nomad7890 Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

No, last name starts with "D". He used to have an Adidas warehouse, not sure if he still does. He is a rather large person, remember he used to go to the Big Man Store here in the US.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM

If you email me the full name and the name of the club I can perhaps help you. I have many connections in football circles, also know sports people and sports journalists in Freiburg. I am sure we can trace the guy.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I don't think the street has been renamed. I guess it was named after Maximilian Kolbe, a priest who gave his life to save another prisoner in a concentration camp. Clearly the official name of the street mentions first name and family name, but probably people call it just Kolbe-Weg, so that guy had his card printed like this.

by nomad7890 Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Maybe it's an accepted abbreviated name for the same street. Looks like it back out to the woods in Google maps!

• Potato-Brigade's Profile Photo

by Potato-Brigade Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 10:43 PM

"Maybe it's an accepted abbreviated name for the same street."

I agree, and it is not uncommon practice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines