Fredericksburg Travel Answers

change location

jerry utter

by utterj Online Now Dec 31, 2011 at 2:33 PM

will be staying in fredericksburg early March. When will wildflowers start to bloom? thanks jerry

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: jerry utter

by mccalpin Online Now Dec 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Wildflowers bloom in Richardson (some 200 miles north of Fredericksburg) from March to May, so I am guessing that the flowers will be just starting to bloom in early March.

Of course, the amount of blooming varies from year to year, and given our state-wide drought, the amount of blooming may be sharply reduced if we don't get some good rains this winter.

Take a look at the State's website at dot.state.tx.us/public_invol...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • basstbn's Profile Photo

by basstbn Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

We visited that area in mid-March one year and the wildflowers (esp bluebells) were just starting to bloom. It may vary from year to year, though, depending on weather. You might check with local convention and visitors bureau.

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

As you may have noticed from the links, Richardson has a Wildflower! festival every year. Originally it was just a spring event with some art and eats, but now it is a very large 3-day music event (upwards of 80,000 attendees), and the only place that wildflowers are seen are in the medians of the streets where the City plants them (seems oxymoronic, doesn't it) every year.

They have already sown and marked the wildflower areas (they're marked to explain why the City isn't moving the strip), and we noticed today that a few of the flowers are already blooming. The plants have become totally confused by our weather: drought and record heat all summer, then some rain in the fall, some below freezing temps, but yesterday it was 70F here, and today is cooler although still quite sunny.

Who knows what the poor plants will be doing by March ;-)

Bill

• IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

by IanMacPhail Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

The March edition of Texas Highways always shows Texas Bluebonnets! :-)

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM

"why the City isn't moving the strip"

I often don't bother correcting my typos, but maybe this sentence would make more sense spelled correctly ;-)

"why the City isn't mowing the strip"

Bill

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

by msbrandysue Online Now Jan 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I've learned a few things throughout my years of hunting bluebonnets :) Just wanted to give you a heads-up that they don't grow well in highly wet weather, nor do they prosper in dry weather. Central Texas has had some of the driest weather in recorded history the last 2 years. Our water is being depleated (just learned this the past weekend while touring some caverns there) so just be appreciative of what you do find. The Wildflower Center in Fredericksburg is your best best, but even they can't bring rain from the heavens in a perfect amount for wild flowers. You should be able to see whatever is going to grow, though, if coming in early-mid March :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Fredericksburg