Travel Answers
Fraserburgh

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• is there opportunity to research Clan Mcfadden on Isle of Mull?

Island of Mull Aug 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM

We understand that McFadden may be a sept of the clan McLean. My name is Brad McFadden and my wife and I are trying to see if Mull might have been the birthplace of my tenth great grandfather (Andrew McFadden) in 1675. The only records we have say he was from The Highlands. he moved to Garvagh, Derry, NI for a short while and then emigrated to the New World (Merrymeeting Bay, Maine) in 1718. We are traveling to Scotland next month and would love to do a little family genealogy research. Are any old parish records available for visitors to research? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

more
    • Things to do in Skye

Isle of Skye Aug 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM

My boss is driving to Skye on Monday. He has asked me to gather some information with regards to things to do whilst he is up there. Baring in mind there are 4 adults and 5 children, are there any places you would suggest?
      Thanks

more
    • Sash/Brooch pin

Scotland Aug 11, 2015 at 5:09 AM

Looking for a large sash/scarf ring/brooch so that I can loop over a woollen scarf without pinning it - a large brooch might work if I could loop it over the pin. So far I've tried various branches of the Woollen Mill, Iona Shop Oban, Gem Box Oban & Chalmers Oban. Don't mind travelling. Not fussed what design or metal - just seems a shame to put a pin through the beautiful woollen scarves.

Many thanx

more
    • iccuf's Profile Photo

Hotel in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Aug 3, 2015 at 12:13 PM

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in Edinburgh. Never been there before. We will not have a card. Do we want to stay in Old Town? or New Town? We like to be able to walk out and be in the middle of everything. I have looked at some of the hotels. The Witchery looks interesting - well, very different, but maybe a little spooky. Comment? Also looked at The Glasshouse - then read a number of negative comments on TripAdvisor. Another I was looking at was GV Royal Mile. Any comments on hotels and whether or not to stay in Old Town? I just read above about restaurants - looks like the better restaurants are outside of the Royal Mile. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Oh, we'll be going the very end of September or first of October. Thanks!

more
    • evaanna's Profile Photo

Public transport in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Aug 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM

I have heard that there are day tickets at 3.5 pounds that allow you to travel freely on public transport for 24 hours. Is this true and if so, where can we buy them? Would it be possible to get to Rosslyn Chapel, using such a ticket or is it not valid for that zone? And how to get to Rosslyn Chapel from Pollock Halls, Holyrood Park Road, Newington? And one more thing - what would (roughly) be the taxi fare from the airport to Pollock Halls? Thank you ever so much. :)

more
    • Using american Verizon phone in Scotland

Scotland Aug 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I am traveling to Scotland for 2 weeks and would like to use my iPhone 6 just as I do in the US. I was told by Verizon that they have a $40 plan that would give me 100MB of data which is a little more than I use in a month. I am very skeptical of their service over there though. I was told by Verizon that all Iphone 6's are unlocked, so I could just purchase a sim card over there. What would be the best option? Thanks for the help.

more

How to book a room at a Travelodge in Edinburgh?

Edinburgh Aug 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Over a fortnight ago we tried to book a room at a Travelodge in Edinburgh. We followed the procedure, filled in all the data, gave them our bank account number and clicked OK to complete the booking. We expected a confirmation of the booking but instead we got the information that our booking was unsuccessful. Strangely enough, Travelodge did not book a room for us but it ring fenced the amount on our bank account, which meant two weeks' waiting till the money was unblocked. I complained and got a reply which didn't solve the problem. Now today, over two weeks later, when the money was returned to us we tried to make the booking again. And guess what happened? Exactly the same. We now have quite a large sum of money ring fenced (i.e. inaccessible to us) and still no booking. I really don't know what to do. We have air tickets for 5 September and the money will not be accessible till then. Does anybody happen to know what we can do about this? And please don't suggest we phone them - we tried but waited and waited listening to the music till our phone account ran out. International phone calls from Poland are really expensive. For the time being, I sent them another complaint by e-mail and am waiting for a reply, but without much hope.

more
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Daytrips from Edinburgh, travel between Ft. William and Stirling

Scotland Aug 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM

We are going to be in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks and I've had to reorganize part of the trip and am now not sure what to do with one of the days. I have one full day at the end of the trip in early September to see Edinburgh sites (Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, etc), this is my 4th trip so I've seen most of it but my husband wants to spend a full day there. We enjoy history and castles, modern architecture not so much. I've been reading/watching "Outlander" and a few of the filming locations are on my list (Blackness, Doune, Linlithgow) and also the historical sites from the series, Ft. William and Culloden. We will be going further north when we leave Edinburgh on Monday morning (day 4) so we will see some of the Highlands and lochs. I think this is what the 1st few days will look like:

day 1 Friday arrive early morning into Edinburgh, pick up car, drive to Blackness, Linlithgow and then head to Loch Lomond, get some sleep

day 2 Saturday husband is going to swim in an organized race in Loch Lomond mid morning (he knows it will be cold and he's bringing a wetsuit!!!) and then we are heading back to Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo at 7:30pm, probably don't have a lot of spare time on this day.

day 3 Sunday this is the day that I don't have planned now, I was going to see Stirling and Doune Castles but that has been moved to a different day of the trip, we have tickets for the Fringe at 7:00pm. We are staying out near the Edinburgh Park train station at the Novotel so we don't have to drive into the city during the Fringe Festival so we'd need to be back by 4pm or so to get some dinner and make sure we get to the show on time.

One thought is Glasgow but I'm not sure that I'm eager to drive into Glasgow, we could take the train but we'll have a car that we will be using for the rest of the trip (and have to have on Friday to get out to Loch Lomond). My other thought was Rosslyn Chapel and whatever else is south or heading north to Dunfermline and Culross. Any thoughts on the best of the three?

Second unplanned bit, we are spending a night in Fort William (non cancellable hotel). We have to be in Stirling by 7:30pm, what can we do along the way? I'd like to see Glencoe but that's all I've got. We'll likely see Stirling Castle the following morning as well as Doune Castle. I took a trip last year that included Loch Awe and Kilchurn as well as a stop in Inveraray so probably don't want to repeat any of those.

Thanks.

more

Hiring a car in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Aug 5, 2015 at 5:20 AM

I need advice about hiring a car in Edinburgh. Is it necessary to make the arrangements in advance? We are going in September. We have had some bad experience connected with payments (for accommodation) on the net and would prefer to arrange the hire on our arrival at the airport. Do you think this is possible? What car hire firms would you recommend? We need a small car and don't want to pay a fortune. Thank you.

more
    • Dustybear's Profile Photo

mother/daughter adventure

Scotland Aug 23, 2015 at 9:29 AM

I need some help figuring out a trip to scotland - I want to tour the more remote areas. anyone have a clue about Where to start in planning this?

more