change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Rashdahod's Profile Photo

Franz Josef

by Rashdahod Online Now Mar 3, 2014 at 5:25 AM

We are traveling mostly by bus but I cannot find a bus that will take me to Greymouth in the late afternoon from Franz Josef so that we can take the Western Coast Shuttle back to Christchurch the next morning. Any suggestions?

• franz josef glacier trek

by susanlilltey Online Now Jan 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

6 of us are going to NZ end March and three are taking helicopter ride to top of glacier and three of us would like to do the trek preferably not the all day one because of our time schedule. Any suggestions please?

1 Answer Jan 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Franz Josef - full day or half day tour?

by tracyskf Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I would like an honest opinion from someone who have been to the FJ glacier with the FJ Guides. I am definitely going to FJ in March in a small group (all small sized ladies) and we need to decide on full day or half day tour. Which is recommended (although the difference is mentioned on the FAQ of the website)?

I am not very fit - I would be able to walk for whole day in shopping malls, but not sure when it comes to glacier what would be the fitness level required.

Please give me some opinion. Thanks very much!

8 Answers Apr 24, 2010 at 4:01 AM
    • Which track is highly recommended in Franz Josef Glacier region?

by kennyboi Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a hike (or combination of few short walks) for a total of about 90 minutes in duration. Can anyone recommend me which one is best for scenery?

There are a good selection of tracks here:

doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do them all...

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    • Overnight in Fox Glacier or Franz Josef?

by Fiona_travel Online Now Feb 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Hi, we will be driving from Queenstown to Greymouth and have been advised to stop along the way at one of the glaciers. Does anyone know which one might be best for an overnight stay?

7 Answers Feb 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    • JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Best time for photographs

by JohanIsWeg Online Now Nov 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM

We're considering a heli-hike on the Franz Josef Glacier or a day walk on Fox Glacier. What time of day, in general, would provide the best views? Does the weather (and visibility) deteriorate later in the day, or do you generally find poor weather conditions early in the morning?
      Sissi made a good point in an earlier forum about time of day not really being applicable for heli-hikes as it's so high up, while early morning would give better photo opportunities with fewer shadows etc.
      Is this still the reigning opinion? Any other experiences, pearls of wisdom?
      Thanks.

42 Answers Feb 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM