Franz Josef Glacier Travel Answers

change location

Which track is highly recommended in Franz Josef Glacier region?

by kennyboi Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a hike (or combination of few short walks) for a total of about 90 minutes in duration. Can anyone recommend me which one is best for scenery?

There are a good selection of tracks here:

doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do them all...

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Which track is highly recommended in Franz Josef Glacier region?

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM

As said in your Fox question, the best 90 min walk at Franz Josef is the walk to the terminal face.

At the start of this walk, only a minute from the carpark, is the Sentinel Rock walk, this is steep but only 15 to 20 min return. It offers rather a beautiful view of the glacial valley and the glacier.

Half way between Franz Josef and the glacier carpark is the Lake Wombat walk. At certain times of the year it is great for birdwatching, especially tui. It is a nice rainforest walk. But I think for rainforest the Minnehaha walk at Fox is nicer. The lake is not really spectacular but the track is nice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which track is highly recommended in Franz Josef Glacier region?

by kennyboi Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I had booked half day guided glacier hike at Franz Josef. In case the walk to the terminal face as you suggested is already be included in this hike, what other option is there? Thanks!

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Which track is highly recommended in Franz Josef Glacier region?

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Yes, the walk to the terminal face is included in the half-day glacier walk. So you can walk to Lake Wombat or up Sentinel Rock. Most of the other good walks are longer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Franz Josef Glacier