Frankfurt am Main Travel Answers

change location
nomad7890's Profile Photo

Wine recommendation

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Should have titled the last question "Trail recommendation " .....

But this is the wine question. When I am around the Rhine I usually like to have a glass of Riesling.

Any suggestions for other local wines that we should try when we're back again in May .... we'll really be in Oberwesel - Koblenz.

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Wine recommendation

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Mosel-Saar-Ruwer that is the best regionn going from Trier to Koblentz, and best Rieslings. I buy mines in Trier or here from merchants. First to read more about see the German Wine institute site
    germanwines.de/icc/Internet-...

then try to seek willi Schaeffer, Prum, Dr Loosen, my favorites there. skip 2010 and go for 2009 ,2011 vintages.going back to 2005 are good but expensive now;hope it helps your search
    Cheers

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Heading an hour or so west of Frankfurt, you get into Franken (Frankonia); probably the smallest wine region in Germany. The wines are traditionally dry whites that are closer to some of the great French wines, rather than the light and fruity Riesling or Moselle wines (which I love as well).

The other tidbit about Frankenwein is the roundish bottle called a Bocksbeutel which is unique to this region. The best known wine from this region is probably Würzburger Stein, and a lot of people refer to Frankonian wines as "Steinwein". They tend to be a bit pricier than other German wines.

• nomad7890's Profile Photo

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Both suggestions sound great - thank you!

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Trier looks very interesting - wonder how far that Niger Door is from town? Only problem is we don't have time to get that far off, as we'll be ending up in Cologne to see the cathedral, then from there fly back to Munich to fly home.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM

yes Trier is superb and claims to be the oldest city in Germany.Lively University town too,plenty of wines...its the Nigre archdoor by the way Martha ::)
    Cheers

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Thank you - this is a good selection, I will write a small note in case my pronunciation gets on the way. Thx. for the correction on the archway name.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Enjoy Trier, my family does like it a lot.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

"Riesling" is just a grape variety. The wines made from such grapes differ a lot in taste and quality from winemaker to wimemaker and vineyard to vineyard and from year to year, depending on the soil and rock the vines grow on, the year's weather, exposure to sunlight, and of course the winemaker's skills. Each wine is an individual. You could well try 50 Rieslings and they are all different.

The Riesling is the most typical white grape in these wine regions - Middle Rhine and Mosel, and not to forget the Rheingau. Then there are the fruity white burgundies (Weißburgunder/Pinot blanc, Grauburgunder/Pinot gris, Chardonnay), the Silvaner which does dry, "dirty" wines that taste of rock and grass and soil, the omnipresent Müller-Thurgau (not my favourite, with few esceptions), the newer breeds like Gewürztraminer, Kerner, Ortega, Scheurebe etc., that make wines with strong perfume. On the Mosel you sometimes find Elbling, a very old grape that was brought there by the ancient Romans - worth trying if you find one. The French Sauvignon Blanc vine is slowly slowly arriving. And these are only the whites...

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Thank you Katherin - taking note!

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

So - any notable reds? ... I usually just drink whites when in the Rhein region.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM

oops ::)

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Personally, I have never found a great German red wine. Some are quite drinkable, while others are downright ghastly.

Whites are the traditional grapes grown there, with the Riesling being the quintisential German grape / wine.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

There are some okay reds in that area but climate, amount of sunshine etc. just don't compare to those in countries further South where world class reds grow. The best whites from Rhine and Mosel, however, are world class. So I'd always prefer a white in this area.

With one exception, though. The Ahr valley with its steep slopes of dark slate rock is traditionally a region of red wines, especially Spätburgunder (= Pinot Noir).

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Thanks!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines