Frankfurt am Main Travel Answers

change location
leightonclifton's Profile Photo

nightlife

by leightonclifton Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I am stopping off in frankfurt on a tour across germany at the end of august on a friday and saturday night

all the guides and a lot of the info on the web seems to play down frankfurt night life, but I refuse to accept that a place from whic seth vath & shantel originate could be so quiet.

can someone point myself in the direction of where to look for things happening in the city

thanks

Leighton

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: nightlife

by gwened Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

no you can pick any here
    frankfurt-interaktiv.de/fran...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

If by any chance you are going to be here in Frankfurt on August 23-25, 2013, that's the weekend of the Museumsuferfest aka Museum Embankment Festival. Check this website for the program:
    http://www.museumsuferfest.de/start-en

1 member found this helpful

• antistar's Profile Photo

by antistar Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Frankfurt has a good nightlife, but the best clubs are typically for the wealthy bankers who work here. Places like the Cocoon Club and King Kamehameha are the place to go if you want to look good and spend lots of money. Judging by what you think of as good music (I love Shantel btw) I suspect you are looking for something a bit different:

Final Destination is popular with those who like to wear black and listen to alternative rock/metal/electro. They have different nights to cater to different tastes.

final-destination-club.de/in...">final-destination-club.de/in...

Batschkapp is an alternative club and music venue a little out of the centre (reach it on the u3 line). It's popular with students and is dark and noisy.

http://batschkapp.tickets.de/de

Brotfabrik is a bit more cultural. I've never been here, but sometimes a band or music night crops up that I want to go to. I think Shantel even played there once.

http://www.brotfabrik.info/

If you give me a better idea of what you like I can ask around at work. Plenty of young guys in the studio with different tastes :).

2 members found this helpful

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I've never been to any of these places (I'm a trifle older and go to the opera once or twice a week), but I live about a block from the Batschkapp and have the distinct impression that the average age of the kids who hang out there is about sixteen.
    My own children used to love the Batschkapp when they were that age (their friends used to sleep over at our house since we lived so close by), but when they were 18 or 19 they stopped going there because they no longer felt comfortable with all the younger kids.
    If you do want to go the Batschkapp (occasionally they have bands that even I have heard of), you can get there on the U1, U2, U3 or U8 to Weißer Stein, or the S6 to Eschersheim.

2 members found this helpful

• leightonclifton's Profile Photo

by leightonclifton Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Nemorrino, im there the weekend after the festival unfortunately

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leightonclifton's Profile Photo

by leightonclifton Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM

antistar/ Nemorino,

I like a lot of types of music, I was first introduced to shantel at WOMAD a big world music festival we have over here in the UK, but I do like a lot of other music Guitar/Dance orientated.

I am making my way across Germany and finish my trip off at the berlin music festival so I'm really open to suggestions.

I am in Frankfurt on the nights of 30th & 31st August maybe if I ask you guys around then you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Really appreciate the help though!

Much better then books or the bog standard sponsored internet sites.

• antistar's Profile Photo

by antistar Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Nemorino is probably right about Batschkapp, but I think it depends on who is playing. I've been there a couple of times (it's a bit out of the way for me) to see a band and it was a young crowd, but not 16 year olds. Although it's very dark in there so maybe I wasn't able to see so well.

Looking at the upcoming line up, which includes Flock of Seagulls (they are still alive?!?), the Mission (my teenage heroes) and Stiff Little Fingers (I should go see them!) it can't be only kids that go there. Maybe I'm wrong, but what 16 year old German wants to see ancient punk rockers from the 80s? :)

I'm a bit like Nemorino now - have a kid to look after so can't be out partying at night. My info is only a few years out of date, though, and supplemented by jealously listening to the weekend antics of my colleagues at work on Monday mornings.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines