Frankfurt Travel Answers

change location

South of Frankfurt

by samerkholoud Online Now Mar 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I am travellign this sumemr to Germany. Flying in to Frankfurth nd we are lookind for a near by city/town preferably south of Frankfurt that woudl be good for a brieft visit and see nice castle, old town feel, etc. Our final destinagiton is Tengen Germany but we want our first few nights to be near Frankfurt ideally 45 m to an hour drive...

Any suggestions? We do have two kids 5 and 2 with us so we will avoid long hikes ....

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: South of Frankfurt

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Check out Heidelberg. It certainly sounds like it will meet your requirements and should take about an hour to get to from the airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: South of Frankfurt

by christine.j Online Now Mar 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

What about Ladenburg? It's a small town, one of the oldest in Germany, on the route to Heidelberg, either by car or by train. The old part is beautiful, but there is no castle. However, on your way there from Frankfurt you can see several castles on the hills and there is always Heidelberg castle nearby.
    The main reason why it came to my mind is because of your children. There is a great indoor playing ground - the Jump-in - in Ladenburg, and I'm sure your children would love to work off some energy after the flight.
    You can find some information here
    jumpinn.de/t3/index.php?id=2...
    and on my Ladenburg page
    "A sleepy town with lots of history" - Ladenburg by christine.j

• Re: South of Frankfurt

by walker11 Online Now Mar 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Middle Rhine Valley is also a nice choice as it offers many attractions including wonderful castles among which Marksburg Castle, Schloss Stolzenfels and Ehrenbreitstein are the most famous ones. The Loreley rock and the fortress of Burg Rheinfels are the most visited sites here. Besides this, you can do some recreational activities like hiking and boat trips.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines