Frankfurt Travel Answers

change location

Frankfurt-Mainz

by lilychong31 Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM

My husband and I are attending a conference in Mainz towards the end of August. We are flying in to Frankfurt and have 4-5 days before the conference. We would be grateful for some advice as to how best to spend our time. We love cruises and beautiful scenery & don't care much for museums & wineries. Should we rent a car? Should we spend say a day in Frankfurt and head out to Mainz after that? We will be flying home from Frankfurt. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Frankfurt-Mainz

by angiebabe Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 1:04 AM

When I had the chance to have a stopover at Frankfurt on my way to the UK I took 4 days for the stopover and got a car and drove the 'fairytale' road - I did and saw a lot in those 4 days of lovely half timbered towns - eg Goslar, Hamlyn, Gottingen, all the way up to Bremen and also lovely Erfurt, WErnigerode, Quedlinburg,WEimar and also youd not be far from Koblenz, Cochem and Trier and also Cologne.
    Other trips accessible from there - which Ive also done - are to lovely Wurzburg, Bamburg, Rothenburg, Nuremburg and Dinklsbuhl - very lovely.
    Its rather lovely driving around those parts. Central to a number of excellent choices - I would probably jump straight into a car on arrival and get going!

Get a good guidebook to read up on before you go - such as the Lonely Planet for Europe - or the Rough Guide on Germany.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Heidelberg and the lovely Rheinland-Palatinate region (Worms, Speyer) are also within reasonable day-trip driving distance of Frankfurt (or, perhaps, you might like to make a circular tour staying overnight at various places as you go...that way you could easily include Bamberg, Nurnberg, Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber etc etc).

Lots of lovely scenery, architecture, pretty villages etc.

www.viamichelin.com will give you an idea of routes and timings.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Frankfurt Airport is between Mainz and Frankfurt.

I would recommend to stay in Mainz in your case.
    mainz.de/WGAPublisher/online...

One day trip of course to Frankfurt
    frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/t...

Just across the Rhine from Mainz there is Wiesbaden, which is also worth a visit.
    http://english.wiesbaden.de/

For a boat cruise and scenery visit the Middle Rhine Valley.
    http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/
    http://www.k-d.com

Speyer and Heidelberg have been already recommend before and can be easily visited from Mainz by train.

You can do all these trips easily by train. In case of Frankfurt and the boat cruise rather a must, as a car would be not practical for such a trip.

Single ticket Frankfurt Airport to Mainz is EUR 3,70.
    Mini group day ticket for Mainz to Frankfurt is EUR 23,00.
    Mini group day ticket into the Middle Rhine Valley (good till Bonn) and e.g. to Speyer is EUR 27,00 (Rhineland-Palatinate Ticket).
    These are all local public transport tickets: They cover regional trains (RB, RE, TR), S-Bahn, U-Bahn (metro), trams and buses.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM

Well I think Ive been able to see so much of Europe - and had so much pleasure seeing and discovering places - because Ive done it with my own car - I have done a few trips by train and bus but theres so much more one can do with the freedom of a car - with the long days of summer almost twice what can be done with public transport - be daring and go for it and enjoy it! If theres 2 of you then the cost is certainly worth it!
    and many of my rentals have been with just me paying the bills!

Ive since had many trips around GErmany and its neighbouring countries as well. armed with my Lonely Planet guide book, the IHA youth hostel book for the world, and then since discovering how excellent the Rough guide series is as well. Driving maps I have preferred Michelin because they highlight routes that can be chosen because they are particularly scenic.

www.auto-europe.com
    www.holidayautos.com
    www.easycar.com
    www.avis.com
    and whatever else if youve got special perks but I used to use avis because I got good prices by booking via Australia which doesnt work anymore - and now I stick to the top 2 in my list - and then mostly the top 1.

all the best.

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

by charlesracine Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Hi,

abalada has hit right on the head with reccomendations. If you stay in Mainz, close to the train station you won't need the bother of a car. Mainz station is a good for most connections in central Germany. There is a good hotel directly across the street, refer to my Mainz hotel comments. Enjoy.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Jul 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Now that @angiebabe recommended the romantic road, I would like to add Marburg. That's not at the romantic road, but approx. 1 hour by train to the north (I think it is even 45 min only) and it is a half-timbered houses paradise :-) Easy to walk around, although it is quite a lot up and down.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines