Frankfurt Travel Answers

change location

River Cruises in Germany/Bavaria

by fmb43 Online Now Mar 18, 2005 at 3:56 PM

A family group (possibly 15-20 people) is planning a trip to the home of our ancestors; Aschaffenburg in Bavaria. We will be spending about 2-3 days in that area & are then looking for a river cruise for approx 7 days. My questions are these: 1) Is Aschaffenburg a good place to base ourselves for that long? In other words, are there interesting things to see & do in the area?
2) If we take the cruise from Mainz, should we go north to Koblenz &/or Cologne or south on the Rhine or should we take the Main River/Danube east & south to Passau? We are looking for the most scenic route with the most to see in the port cities. 3) Any suggestions on which cruise company to use? i'd appreciate any input. Thank You

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Bernd_L's Profile Photo

RE: RE: River Cruises in Germany/Bavaria

by Bernd_L Online Now Mar 21, 2005 at 10:43 PM

Aschaffenburg is a good place to stay. You can visit some picturesque cities and towns like Wuerzburg, Rothenburg, Bamberg within daytrips.

As for your cruise: the Main and Danube have definitely scenic valleys. But more impressive is the Rhine between Mainz and Koblenz. You can do this as a day trip from Aschaffenburg too. Go by train to Mainz or Bingen, enter a boat to Koblenz and take the train back.

The rest of the Rhine (north of Koblenz and south of Mainz) isn't that interesting. So for your cruise take the Main / Danube trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: RE: River Cruises in Germany/Bavaria

by YVRDave Online Now Apr 13, 2005 at 7:05 PM

With that many people you may not get space this year. They get VERY full and you may have to look at next year.
    www.vikingrivercruises.com
    I was on The Primadonna in November. It was quite nice but not for any singles.
    Stacy, isn't Passau and Regensberg fantastic.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines