France Travel Answers

change location
Autumn9's Profile Photo

Which region for the best views?

by Autumn9 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I have moved on a little after receiving some help from contributors to this site and I am now close to booking a villa for a group of eleven people, in the south of France for this coming June. Some of us are artists and will spend time painting the view from the garden of our villa.

I am attracted to the areas of Arles and Aix-en-Provence because of the association with Van Gogh, Cezanne etc. However, the views from villas situated in the areas around Grasse look more promising. Is this a fair assessment of each region and which will provide the best subject matter in terms of extensive views of the landscape, please?

We would also like a rural location, within a twenty minute walk of a small, pretty, historic village for bread etc., and painting.

Autumn

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Which region for the best views?

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I am pretty biaised towards the Luberon area which is not far from Grasse. There you have Gordes and Bonnieux and the whole Parc du Luberon, a really beautiful area. You should be able to find even more "rural" localities there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I'm not sure you can get a bad view in either area. We love painting in the countryside just north of Arles. St.-Remy-de-Provence is another great place to base. See if you can spend a day painting in Renoir`s garden at Cagnes-sur-Mer. Have you checked the Gites de France? They usually have photos of the surrounding scenery and give you distances to nearby towns. We like Grasse and it's a gorgeous area too so we may prefer the St. Remy area just because we know it better.

Here's the Gites web site. http://en.gites-de-france.com/

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, I checked the Luberon National Park and Mountain range. Pertuis is near center so I used it as a base. From Grasse to Pertuis (the Luberon) is 185 km or about a 2-hour drive. From St. Remy-de-Provence to Pertuis (the Luberon) is 63 km or about an hour drive so Grasse is twice as far from the Luberon as the Aix / St. Remy / Arles area.

As I said earlier, you can't make a bad decision here but consider Cezanne and his love of Mt. Ventoux in the Luberon and you may understand why it's a favorite of artists. And obviously, the Luberon park and mountain range covers a lot more territory than Pertuis. I just chose it because it's central in the area.

The country is more rugged around Grasse and that can cut off distant views so if you decide on that area, be sure you are elevated and not in a canyon or gorge. Roads may be a bit better in the Arles area if you want to get out and explore. Grasse would be better suited to visiting Nice and area (the Renoir gardens). Arles / St. Remy / Aix would be suited to visiting Aix-en-Provence, Avignon and the Pont du Gard. Don't know if you're planning any touring or not but there is that to consider.

Wish I could suggest a specific villa, but villas for 11 people are not in our price range nor would they be useful to us.

Have you looked at either Google Maps or Viamichelin.com? Either site would be most helpful to you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular France Travel Answer Locations