France Travel Answers

change location
WOOFWOOF's Profile Photo

Dordogne

by WOOFWOOF Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Spending three weeks with my wife in France this May. One week in Paris, one week with a family in Bordeaux, and one week driving through Dordogne region. Interested in any feedback for the following planned itinerary before I book accommodation; Sarlat - three nights visiting nearby villages including La Roque de gageac and Rocamadour;  Gourdon - one night staying in lovely accommodation outside of Gourdon;   Conques - one night;   Cahors - two nights (going via Saint Cirq Lapopie)

Quote & Answer
24 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Dordogne

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Sarlat is indeed a good base for a couple of days, with plenty to see and do in town before venturing out to the villages. But why write Gourdon Conques, they are some 100 kms apart ? Both Conques and St Cirq are part of the "100 most beautiful villages of France", of which St Cirq Lapopie won the annual contest just last year and are lovely places to visit although depending on season are full of tourists and traffic.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM

well lovely area, one of my favorite in France. You have a very nice combinationi in Paris, Bordeaux, and Dordogne. The last one is a vast region so one week is cutting it short I think. Sarlat is a must even if heavily touristics nowdays; the others are wonderful too, Gourdon and Conques will stretch out your time there,and Cahors is another must for me.

If I had just one week I will cut it down to Sarlat, Rocamadour,Cahors, and La Roque de Gageac. Hope it helps your planning.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm not sure you need to move around that much. We rent a small house in Cenac-et-St. Julien (5 km from La Roque Gageac) and have visited all the places you mention from that one base. Sarlat would work equally well, or for that matter, stay in La Roque Gageac and have easy-in easy-out access to the entire region. There is enough in the immediate Sarlat area to keep you busy for a month or more and as mentioned above, there are many Plus Beaux Villages in the area and all are definitely worth a visit. Here's the PBV web site and you can check to see which ones are of most interest to you. les-plus-beaux-villages-de-f...">les-plus-beaux-villages-de-f...

Type the names of the places into the VT Search Window above and check the Travel Pages that have been written. There will be lots of photos, hotels, restaurants, things to do and external web sites that may be useful to you. You can also click on the names of members who answer you here and check their VT Travel Pages on these places. It's a great resource here on VT and also lots of fun.

Good luck. We love the Dordogne . . . and the rest of France. It's magical.

• WOOFWOOF's Profile Photo

by WOOFWOOF Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Thanks everyone. Now thinking we might base ourselves in Sarlat and Cahors for the week.

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Have a great time wherever you choose to go, it really is a lovely area.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 2:21 AM

agree you won't go wrong there anywhere. Sarlat and Cahors, my kind of combination. Have a bit of that great black Cahors wine with some heavy dish like cassoulet or foie gras confits. Enjoy it.

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 3:48 AM

This is also one of my favorite areas in France. Make sure you see the fantastic prehistoric cave drawings at Peche Merle near Cahors. It is so much more interesting than some of the others caves of the region.

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Cahors has a very nice market. With luck you'll see it. Good choices; beautiful area. Have a good time.

by WOOFWOOF Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Just for your interest....we ended up booking in for two nights in Brantome followed by four nights in Sarlat from where we will do some day trips. One of the things that changed our mind was the lack of appealing accommodation in Cahors itself....considering we wanted to stay in the town. Thanks everyone for their feedback....really excited.

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

You'll enjoy Brantome. The town is small but very nice; the Abbey is fascinating. Be sure you visit the cave part. There's a very nice chocolate shop in town if you like chocolate. You have a beautiful park along the river, lots of restaurants, canoe rental and lovely walks. There is a really nice restaurant in an old mill right on the river. It's a bit pricey but might make a nice splurge one night.

Have a great trip.

by WOOFWOOF Online Now May 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Decided to report back on our recent trip to France and in particular the Dordogne part of our trip. Really pleased we split our week between Brantome and Sarlat. Brantome was beautiful as was the nearby village of Bourdeilles, perfect for one or two nights.

Then basing ourselves in Sarlat for four days, staying at Les Chambres Du Glacier was a masterstroke. Sure Sarlat is very much a tourist hub but during May it was very quiet and we absolutely loved our stay there. It served as a perfect base to travel to places like Rocamadour, La Roques Gageac and the devine Beynac De Castenac. Waking up each morning, opening the doors to our balcony and looking out on the main square of Sarlat was amazing. So glad we didn't try to cover too much ground in this region in the week we had there.

by Beausoleil Online Now May 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM

So glad you enjoyed your trip. The Dordogne is addictive. Have you posted any of your photos yet? I'm looking forward to them.

by WOOFWOOF Online Now May 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Will be posting photos over the next few days. We only took 3500 of them!

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now May 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Now I want to go to these places !! Can't wait to see your photos :-) Dreaming of France again and adding all this to my Trip Planner :-)

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now May 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for your report! The Dordogne is one area of France that my husband and I have never been to together, so I know we'll be returning one of these years. I remember taking a beautiful photo in Brantome and really loved that town. There's just so much to see and do in the Dordogne.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Thanks for reporting back,and glad althought sure you will like the area ::)

3500 photos oh my my, have fun going thru them now.
    Cheers

by Beausoleil Online Now May 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Ah, the difficult part . . . deciding which photos to post. Have fun. I really am looking forward to those photos now.

by WOOFWOOF Online Now Jun 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Just a footnote.......was a little underwhelmed by La Roque Gageac. Looks like they've had some problems with erosion and have built a retaining wall of concrete slabs all the way along the township riverfront. Very unattractive.

Hopefully they will be doing further work to cover the concrete with something more aesthetically pleasing.

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM

We haven't seen that and I agree, it would be nice to see it covered. They had a terrible landslide above the village some years ago and don't have all that opened yet. I know they've had flooding down by the river so if it was particularly bad, erosion would be a problem. It's a Plus Beau Village so they'll undoubtedly have to do something both cosmetic and practical. I have a friend there so I'll see what she can tell me.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 5:17 AM

yes there has been reported problems with the water and causing landslides in the area. However, a concrete slab is not a nice thing of course.

many towns were flooded too.this is the area now hit from govt site
    dordogne.equipement.gouv.fr/...

and this is what happened which cause all those walls to be put up
    eptb.asso.fr/albums-photos/d...

cheers

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Hi gwened. I can't open the first web site on my tablet so I'll check it later. The photo opened and my friend's little store is just down the street from that hotel so she must have been flooded too. Another friend has a house in La Roque but it's up the hill so I'm sure they had no problem . . . well, except for getting in and out during the flooding. It looks like you folks have had weather as bad as ours this year. What a crazy spring!

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I was just in St Privat d'Allier where it was snowing!!!! the 27th May ????

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

We ran into snow near Carcassonne a couple years ago in late May. Crazy.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

the first link is a government site here so dont know how it opens from outside.

weather, is unpredictable even the pros missed on it. Today was the first day of summer here in the Morbihan breton and now I am watching a program on Versailles lol!!
    cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular France Travel Answer Locations