Fox Glacier Travel Answers

change location

Budget Lodging in fox glazier

by khalid48 Online Now Jun 19, 2011 at 2:57 AM

We wil be in South Island from 23 Oct - 1st Nov 2011. There will be around 21 -26 adults. We had identified hotels/places to stay in Christchurh, Queenstown, Te Anau and Wanaka. Only one last place remain very elusive, i.e. Fox Glazier.Can someone please recommend us a good view/location but cheap lodging for the above adults preferably staying close together for a night on the 30 Oct? We are budget travellers. What we need is a clean place to sleep as most of the time we will be out of the hotel.As "cheap" is very relative, would appreciate if we can get an overview of the 'cheap' lodging in Fox Glazier or maybe even in FJ Glazier

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Re: Budget Lodging in fox glazier

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Jun 19, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Fox has fewer accommodation options that Franz Joseph and with a need for 21-26 places, even fewer

Check thess places out- http://www.ivorytowerslodge.co.nz/

http://www.foxglacierinn.co.nz/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Apart from Ivory Towers Backpackers there is also the Fox Glacier Holiday Park in the township of Fox Glacier. They have some large motel units which sleep up to 6 people.

foxglacierholidaypark.co.nz/...

The advantage of the holiday park over Ivory Backpackers is that it is more sophisticated than a backpackers lodge - plus it is located on the road to Lake Matheson (so a bit outside the township) from where you have a good view of the mountains, including Mt. Cook and Mt. Tasman.

From the township itself you have no view of Mt. Cook. You have to move further out west to get the great views.

From the other motels at Fox I quite like the Rainforest Motel. The owners are very, very friendly and helpful. It is located on the Lake Matheson road as well but so close to the township that you can walk to the restaurants - of course the views are less spectacular than from the holiday park.

Some of the units accommodate up to 6 people.

rainforestmotel.co.nz/accomm...

At Franz Josef you have five backpacker hostels (Chateau Franz, Franz Josef YHA, Glow Worm Cottages, Montrose Backpackers, Rainforest Backpackers) and nearly a dozen of motels.

The Rainforest Retreat is a mix of all kinds of accommodation, from rather spectacular tree houses to backpackers.

None of the accommodation in Franz Josef township has any view. You have to drive 2 to 3 km north, from there you have a view of the glacier. Glacier View Motel is one of them. I have stayed there once and liked it. But normally we stay in the township because it is more convenient to walk to dinner.

http://www.glacierviewmotel.co.nz/

When you click on "Book now" you see the rates. A unit for 5 people costs about NZ$ 200 in November.

• Re: Budget Lodging in fox glazier

by khalid48 Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Thank you kakapo2, I know we can count on you. After the recent earthquakes, the numbers of our entourage has decrease from 29 to 25. They were a bit frightened on seeing what happened in Christchurh. Worst, we in Malaysia, never experience earthquake before as we are outside the earthquake zone. However most of us will leave it to God as earthquake can happen anytime in Indonesia, California, Japan and other areas in the ring of fire.

• Re: Budget Lodging in fox glazier

by khalid48 Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 6:05 AM

Thanks for your information. We appreciate it very much.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Just do not spend too much time in Christchurch if things do not calm down until October.

Earthquakes can, as you already said, in many places, and New Zealand is prone to earthquakes due to its location above the rim of two tectonic plates. Just within the past two weeks there was an earthquake near Fox Glacier, just deep enough to not cause any damage. In theory the Southern Alps are far more earthquake-prone in their entire length than Christchurch - but we all know what has happened.

If we did not go to any place with a potential of a natural disaster, only very few places in the world would be left.

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Jun 24, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Ive stayed at Ivory Towers, it was lovely, especially the free breakfast :-) the kitchens are well equipped too if you wanted to cook for yourself, the TV room's good. It was very sociable when I went.
    All the Kiwi Experience coaches stay there too, so you may get roudy backpackers. It was fine when I was there, I just hit the pubs with them!
    I walked to Lake Matheson from the hostel, it was beautiful; great views of Mount (urm....I have a mind freeze and can't rembmer of the hugh mountain!) and a nice cafe / visitor centre.

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Jun 24, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Mount Cook! Yes, the most famous one, oops.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Mt. Cook and Mt. Tasman, even more ;-)))

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines