Fox Glacier Travel Answers

change location

Which track is highly recommended in Fox Glacier region?

by kennyboi Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a hike (or combination of few short walks) for a total of about 90 minutes in duration. Can anyone recommend me which one is best for scenery?

There are a good selection of tracks here:

doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

My initial pick is either Lake Matheson or The Fox Glacier Valley walk. Not sure which one is better, or if there is any better ones...

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do them all...

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Which track is highly recommended in Fox Glacier region?

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I see that you will also be at Franz Josef. So I suggest you walk to the terminal face at Franz Josef (takes about 90 min return) and do the Lake Matheson walk when you are at Fox.

If you drive some km further, past Lake Matheson, you get to a Fox glacier lookout from where you have a good view of the glacier in good weather conditions. The lookout up a hill near the glacier is a lot less impressive.

Lake Matheson is best early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

There are some short walks near Fox Village, for example the Minnehaha walk (not sure about the spelling), it is right at the southern end of Fox Village. About 20 min but veeeeery beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which track is highly recommended in Fox Glacier region?

by kennyboi Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM

With Lake Matheson, would I get the same full appreciation taking the 40min short distance (return to the jetty) compare to the 1.5hr around the Lake? That way, I can allow time to do those other short walks.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Which track is highly recommended in Fox Glacier region?

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Yes, you do not have to make the whole loop to get the great reflected views of the mountains in the lake. To the jetty and back is good enough.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines