Fox Glacier Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

Fox Glacier: Is there a better time of day to take a helihike trip?

by swdke Online Now May 3, 2007 at 8:07 AM

I am interested in information regarding a Helihike trip on the Fox glacier. One possible date is around December 2nd. Is there a "best" time of day to take a tour? Like morning vs. afternoon. I realize the trips don't go if the weather is bad. I had read where someone stated that the morning trip might be best. Unfortunately, I think an afternoon trip would best fit our schedule, but will change plans as necessary. What do you recommend for this time of year? Thank you. Steve

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Fox Glacier: Is there a better time of day to take a helihike trip?

by BritBabe1 Online Now May 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Hi Steve,

I did a helihike last December (on the 14th) with a company called Alpine Guides, Fox Glacier and I went in the afternoon - in fact I was in the last group to return back down from the glacier with all the guides at the end of their working day. It was spectacular and stunning and as our group was quite young in age our guide had us scrambling and climbing through all the ice and glacial formations.It was a great experience and I would definitely recommend it! I wouldn't really know whether to recommend a morning tour or afternoon, but if an afternoon trip fits with your schedule then you'll still have a fantastic experience.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Fox Glacier: Is there a better time of day to take a helihike trip?

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Adding to my other info about the glaciers:

With a helihike you get quite high up the glacier, so it does not matter if you go in the morning or afternoon. For the normal walks (in case the helihike is cancelled) I would recommend the morning as the glacier is in full sun at this time of the day, and in the afternoon the light (for photos) is not as good on the glacier, you have long shadows from the valley walls and rocks, and it is colder.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines