Foshan Travel Answers

change location

How to get there ^_^

by fiol Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Hi there.
I'm planning to go to Foshan and Shunde in December. I will be staying in HK from 16-12 to january, and i really want to see a little of China.
I will go to Gz for sure and if i understood well there are trains to go to Foshan..but...how to get to Shunde?
I tried to find some informations in chinese websites or in the shunde website but it's too confusing. Can u help me?
I know a little of chinese (mandarin)(i'm still learning it xD) so i dont it will be easy or not to ask infos around foshan.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • johnmperry's Profile Photo

Re: How to get there ^_^

by johnmperry Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 5:20 AM

You can get a train from Guangzhou to Foshan, but I don't think they're very frequent. Far better to get a bus. There is a bus station next to GZ railway station. (Main station, not East where the HK trains come into). In fact there are two bus stations on either side of the road (Huanshixilu) and I imagine they both serve Foshan. Probable frequency about every 10 minutes or so. Foshan is a big place, and some of the GZ buses themselves go to part of it. NB there are two different places called Foshan in Guangdong, "spelt" differently. [Can't write Chinese in these forum replies.]

Foshan is 40 km from GZ, Shunde is another 80 or so.

Mandarin may not be particularly helpful - most people speak Cantonese and not all understand Mandarin.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: How to get there ^_^

by fiol Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 6:02 AM

thank you for the answer.
    The foshan i meant is the one far 40km from GZ (20min by train). And from Foshan to Shunde? i've to take a bus or taxi or..?
    It's a pity that they dont understand mandarin..english?

• johnmperry's Profile Photo

by johnmperry Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM

There is a very complex network of buses all over. Basically you can go direct to anywhere in GD from anywhere else. Just get to the bus station.

I looked at the map, Shunde is only about 40km SE of Foshan (the big one), halfway to ZHongshan. It must be well served by buses. Don't worry.

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM

If you speak basic Mandarin I dont think you will have much problem. A lot of taxi drivers are migrants anyway and if they dont understand just jump out and get the next taxi. I went to Shunde for two days last week and two days this week and went by bus from Shenzhen (Futian). The major bus depot in Shunde is called Da Liang (easy to say). So when you want to buy a bus ticket you just walk up to the window and ask for ShunDe Da Liang (the de in Shund de is pronounced more like Da -from Cantonese I think). The thing is that most people dont expect foreigners to have perfect grammar. If you just say Shunde DaLiang they will fill in the missing "one ticket to" after all you are at a ticket window! If you are going to use taxis then try and get someone Chinese to write it down for you. I find that if I am stuck i just walk in to a hotel and see if they have a concierge or counter staff that speak good English. I have founf them usually quite willing to help.

by chinamonty Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Some other points. Yes it is a very weel developed bus system and it can be quite daunting at first. The bus stations are huge and in general well run. I had a Kiwi customer with me on friday afternoon and he was amazed at the throughput in Da Liang station. We aited only ten minute for our bus and in that time four busses had used the "gate" our bus was to leave from. There were forteen busses in gates when we pulled out that gives you an idea of the magnitude of things. The service from futian to Shunda for instance is every hour or seventy minutes depending on the time of day. I would imagine it may even be more frquent from Guangzhou. The fare from Futian to Shunde is RMB80 so busses are by no means expensive and the trip takes two hours -accident free that is.

by fiol Online Now Nov 5, 2008 at 8:26 AM

wow thx for all the informations you gave me. very helpful stuff!
    Now i have a question about the Foshan TrainStation, is it located in the Nanhai District, right? I'm asking because i'm looking for a cheap ,but clean, hotel nearby ^_^

by fiol Online Now Nov 5, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Hi again,
    i find this cheap hotel:
    5booking.com/Hotel/cn/2358.h... (chinese website)
    hotels.english.ctrip.com/dom... (english website)
    Memories Hotel
    2 Chao'an Bei Road Foshan China
    district: ChanCheng Area

it's cheap and I read some opinion (in chinese).
    Do you know something about it?

by chinamonty Online Now Nov 5, 2008 at 7:52 PM

I usually stay at the City Inn in Shunde (Huagai Rd) and I know they have another hotel in the chain at Foshan (Jihua Rd). I pay corporate/VIP Card rate of CNY188 per night and the walk in rate is about CNY230 I think. There may even be a level of room cheaper than the one I stay in judging by their website (www.octhotels.com).I have found the Shunde hotel to be excellent so I would expect the rest of the chain to be comparable.

by fiol Online Now Nov 6, 2008 at 5:52 AM

thx for the url, i will keep an eye on it since now it doesnt allowed to view the december rates.
    Thank you :)

by chinamonty Online Now Nov 6, 2008 at 8:25 PM

looking under the VIP section they dont appear to have changed. The main reason they change is large trade shows like canton fair and sometimes it is down as in chinese New Year.

• chinaguy's Profile Photo

by chinaguy Online Now Nov 8, 2008 at 6:22 PM

you take a train train to foshan from guangzhou. you can go by bus the bus station next to guangzhou railway station.foshan is 40km faraway the guangzhou .most of the people can not speak Mandrin but english and some other language .

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines