Fort Worth Travel Answers

change location

Fingers are crossed I get the job!

by enurse Online Now Feb 4, 2006 at 3:45 PM

I'm hoping to be offered a postition at Cook's Children Hospital. My interview will be the middle of February. I'm single, no kids, 30 yrs old, have a super little dog, and am not so fond of big city living (a nature girl). Does anyone have any helpful advice on where I should look to buy a house? Or maybe I should back up and ask first if I should even want to move to your city. I'll be so happy to hear anybody's input. Thanks a bunch! Oh yea... I also don't want to drive much more than about 35 min. to work each day.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: Fingers are crossed I get the job!

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 4, 2006 at 7:24 PM

My niece spent several months at Cook's in the pediatric rehabilitation unit (or whatever it is) on the top floor, and I have to say that the staff was wonderful. Good for you for wanting to work there(!)

I am not as familiar with commuting in Ft. Worth as I am in Dallas. However, if you want country, look to the south and to the west. To the south is Glen Rose and Granbury - both lovely places but maybe a bit too far. To the west is Weatherford.

Anyway, I hope you have fun looking(!)

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sswagner's Profile Photo

RE: Fingers are crossed I get the job!

by sswagner Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 2:03 PM

If you really are into nature, this might be a difficult decision. In fact, my wife and I are considering moving because we do want to get away from the urban environment eventually. There are some nice parks, a zoo, a very nice botanic garden, and a greenbelt along the Trinity River. However, Fort Worth is growing rapidly. As far as traffic is concerned, it is not on the level of Dallas or Houston, yet there are some areas to avoid, such as Loop 820 from Haltom City to the 183 exchange.

Fort Worth is full of friendly people and there are some nice things to do here. My wife works at Baylor All Saint's Hospital. From what I can tell, the medical industry does appear to be very stable. People working in this industry should be in good demand. The cost of living is not too bad. There are plenty of housing developments in all directions. When looking for a house, do two things at least. Number 1, make a note of what roads you would have to take from there to your job and see what the commute would be like. Second, be weary of gas wells being put up near the developments. There have been a lot of gas wells put up in this region, and most of the landowners maintain the mineral rights.

Fort Worth is not too bad in my opinion. I would weigh in the good and the bad when making the decision. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines