Fort William

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 3 nights in Skye VS 2 nights in Skye + 1 night in Inverness

Isle of Skye Apr 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My husband and I are arriving into Edinburgh on July 8th. We spend 2 nights there - and then rent a car and the plan is to drive to Skye on the 10th. We have 3 nights booked in Skye at the Rowan Cottage Tree House. We then have a flight out from Inverness to London on the 13th at 2PM.

My question is do you think we should do 3 nights in Skye or should we spend the last night in Inverness since we have a flight out from there on the 13th afternoon.

Also any suggestions on good routes from Edinburgh to Skye and any recommendations for what distilleries to visit perhaps on the way to Skye? My husband really enjoys Scotch where as I can be the designated driver.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

more
    • Isle of Skye

Isle of Skye Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 AM

What is the most beautiful remote area of the isle of skye. we want amazing sea views with the possibility of seeing whales, dolphins,seals otters etc.

more
    • Isle of skye for 2 days

Isle of Skye Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Is it better to hire a Isle of skye tour or one can roam around the whole area with public transport?

more
    • Visiting Fort William - Mid October

by Bunjaraa Online Now Oct 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Hi,

I will be reaching Fort William on 19 October for 4 days with my husband and 3 year old kid. Can anyone please suggest day tours from Fort William? I will be coming as a part of Coach tour from Birmingham. For two days - 20 and 21 October, I wanted to explore myself. Are there any day trips I can take to nearby locations? If yes, then which are the tour operators I should contact.

5 Answers Oct 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    • milliturtle's Profile Photo

Rainy day activities

by milliturtle Online Now May 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Hi, I am checking the weather forecast and it looks like there will be light to heavy rain this weekend. Since I originally plan to hike to Steall Falls, it looks like the rain may put a damper on those plans. Can anyone suggest some activities for a potentially heavy rain day? If not, I guess I'll be spending a lot of time in the pub!

Thanks.

5 Answers May 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    • Best itinerary for 5 days in Scotland by rail?

by mafalda47 Online Now Jul 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM

We are traveling England, Scotland and Wales by BritRail pass. For our 5 days in Scotland we are thinking of visiting Edingburgh, Glencoe, Fort William and the Isle of Skye. Not sure if we can fit anything else.

Would appreciate advice on how best to use the 5 days while traveling on our Britrail pass.

2 Answers Jul 14, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    • Fort William-Steam Train Journey

by agnuscastus Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 2:56 AM

Could someone tell me about the steam train from Fort William to Mallaig? There is a family from london with a four year old boy on holiday in Scotland, the boy would like to go on this train journey.
      Thanks

2 Answers Nov 18, 2008 at 3:30 AM
    • Four year old boy in Fort William

by agnus_castus Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Please suggest some sites for a 4 year old boy to visit. He is going to be in Fort William with his parents for a day only.
      Thanks

• Camping??

by Seonaidframe Online Now May 21, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Anyone know any good (secret!) camping spots, reasonably close to the centre of fort william?

1 Answer May 21, 2008 at 6:03 AM
    • Getting to Fort William from Skye -- trying to make the train

by margems Online Now Apr 16, 2008 at 10:53 AM

First, thank you all so much for the responses to my earlier questions from earlier in April (the Driving from Edinburgh to Skye post) -- all of the information has been really helpful
      I would love to ride on the Jacobite steam train but it doesn't run on Sundays until late in June. Here's my question: If we get an early start from Skye (Broadford or Portree) is it possible to get to the train station for the Jacobite train at 10:20AM if we give ourselves 2 1/2 hours? What if we allow 3 hours? I used the AA website to get directions and a map -- they say it's 1 hour and 50 minutes from Broadford to Fort William but I want to allow lots of extra time. I know we can't take the Armadale ferry to Mallaig because we wouldn't have enough time to get to Ft William. We would have to take A87. Is this a reasonable thing to do or should we just forget it? Is the train station for the Jacobite train in Ft William itself? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. Our day for this trip would be Wednesday June 4th.

• nice places to eat

by spursboy Online Now Nov 6, 2007 at 5:03 AM

Will be in Fort William 21st Nov for 4 days. Can let me know which are the best places to go for an evening meal. No kids involved just a couple.

• Sightseeing

by Raymoon Online Now May 31, 2007 at 3:02 AM

Hi There, I Am going to be visitng Fort William on a holiday in a few weeks and I would like to know of some tourist attractions in the area and places may be of interest.

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers May 31, 2007 at 5:13 AM
    • accomodation in fort william

by donnawii Online Now May 25, 2007 at 3:20 AM

where is the best place to stay in fort william for a short break before travellign on to skye?

1 Answer May 25, 2007 at 7:46 PM
    • What to see

by borntwiztid Online Now Mar 15, 2007 at 3:31 AM

I was planning a trip to Fort William sometime soon and i was wondering which sights would be worth seeing on the way.

3 Answers Jun 14, 2007 at 2:37 AM
    • great glenway and ben nevis

by stadimiri Online Now Mar 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM

hello
      my wife and i intend walking the great glenway and then climb ben nevis. i have been told that the walk is better when done from inverness to fort william rather than the reverse. is this true?/ also we intend climbing the ben nevis after that> is this feasible? do we need to book in advance accomodation on our route and is there bus service from glasgow to inverness?
      thanks
      regards
      captain srini

2 Answers Mar 7, 2007 at 12:43 AM
    • Advice please! Trip to Ben Nevis

by mikan- Online Now Aug 30, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Hey,
      need a bit of advice. I promised my friend that I would take her to see Fort william and Ben Nevis.
      I think we will talke the citylink bus so we go through Loch Lomond and Glencoe, does anybody know if you get a good view on this route?
      Also how easy is it to get to Ben Nevis? Does the bus stop really close? Is the cablecar up Ben Nevis a good idea? And is it expensive?
      I have no idea about this trip and I am supposed to organise it!!! Need help!
      Thanks,
      mikan-

5 Answers Aug 31, 2006 at 3:00 PM
    • kph100's Profile Photo

Fort William week then Edinburgh day

by kph100 Online Now Aug 18, 2006 at 2:12 AM

Hi
      We have rented a cottage near Fort William for the week, 9-16th Sept.
      2 pieces of advice please.
      Firstly on things to do, so far considering Ben Nevis, mallaig train or drive, Loch Ness, Glen Coe, isle of Skye, any other ideas ?

I am considering driving early on the Sat morning to Edinburgh, use the park and ride and see Edinburgh for the day. Then get hotel outside edinburgh before driving back to Gloucestershire on the Sunday.
      Is it worth doing Edinburgh for the day, if so what realistically do you suggest we can see in the day say arriving at park and ride at 8am

Thks ian.

9 Answers Aug 27, 2006 at 8:52 AM
    • Fortwilliam Nightlife

by thereyago Online Now Aug 4, 2006 at 7:03 AM

I'll be arriving into Fortwilliam late on Fri. night. Are there any late night watering holes/niteclubs in fortwilliam to wet my whistle after the long drive or does everywhere shut up at 11pm?

2 Answers Jul 17, 2007 at 1:31 PM
    • Fortwilliam Nightlife

by thereyago Online Now Aug 4, 2006 at 5:42 AM

I'll be arriving into Fortwilliam late on Fri. night. Are there any late night watering holes/niteclubs in fortwilliam to wet my whistle after the long drive or does everywhere shut up at 11pm?

• harry potter train

by sheryll Online Now Feb 27, 2006 at 4:27 PM

can anybody help my daughter is desperate to ride on the harry potter train hogwarts express does this train actually do journeys and if so when or is it only the jacobite steam train

1 Answer Feb 28, 2006 at 3:58 AM
    • Lodging

by 7093smhs Online Now Dec 14, 2005 at 12:56 PM

We are planning on being in Fort William, Highlands, Scotland, area for 2 days and would appreciate suggestions for 1) lodging and 2) how to structure our time. My husband is a good photographer and is interested in the best places to take pictures. Thanks!

2 Answers Dec 21, 2005 at 4:25 AM
    • jag17's Profile Photo

Jacobite Steam Train

by jag17 Online Now Aug 27, 2005 at 9:05 AM

Hi

My friend and I will be in Fort William on September 12-14th. I have had a hard time reaching anyone by phone to make reservations for the train. Are reservations a must at this time of year, or should we be able to get a spot on the train once we arrive.

Thanks,
      Jo Ann

3 Answers Aug 28, 2005 at 9:35 AM
    • Highland Itinerary

by LynnDobbie Online Now Jun 1, 2005 at 1:32 PM

I'm trying to plan a trip to include Fort William, Ullapool and the Isle of Lewis for a familt with one small child. Any suggestions for exciting things to do?

7 Answers Jun 22, 2005 at 3:23 AM
    • info on fort william

by kmowatt Online Now May 11, 2005 at 1:36 AM

I am looking for more information about fort william's landmarks if you could get the info that iam looking for it would be very grateful.

• Fort William Research

by darrenglasgow Online Now May 4, 2005 at 1:42 AM

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can give me anymore information or go into more detail about one of fort williams famous landmarks Old Inverlochy Castle Ruin. This would be much appreciated. Thanks

2 Answers May 4, 2005 at 9:27 PM
    • a queston for you all

by ravenofdarkness Online Now Apr 29, 2005 at 3:47 AM

hiya has anyone been to fort william or know anywhere to go or things to do for adults and children

3 Answers May 10, 2005 at 1:31 PM
    • Places Of Interest In Fort William

by billpcp Online Now Apr 21, 2005 at 2:41 AM

i was just wondering what were the best places to see in Fort William, i have looked online but could only really find information on Ben Nevis and Old Inverlochy Castle, any suggestions?

3 Answers Apr 22, 2005 at 2:18 AM
    • JuniperBerry's Profile Photo

DRIVING FROM FORT WILLIAM

by JuniperBerry Online Now Apr 10, 2005 at 11:01 PM

Which is a more interesting and feasible day-trip from Fort William:

1. Driving through the "Road-to-the Isles" (Passing through Glenfinnan [esp. Glenfinnan Viaduct because my sister is a Harry Potter fan] and, Arisaig, Morar Mallaig)
      OR

2. Visiting Eilean Donan

Please note that we plan to take the 7:00 pm train from Edinburgh to Fort William (arriving at 12 noon), and returning to Edinburgh the same day via CityLink Bus departing at 7pm So this roughly gives us 7 hours only for the day trip.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to all your feedback!

9 Answers Apr 16, 2005 at 2:51 PM
    • JuniperBerry's Profile Photo

DRIVING FROM FORT WILLIAM

by JuniperBerry Online Now Apr 10, 2005 at 11:00 PM

Which is a more interesting and feasible day-trip from Fort William:

1. Driving through the "Road-to-the Isles" (Passing through Glenfinnan [esp. Glenfinnan Viaduct because my sister is a Harry Potter fan] and, Arisaig, Morar Mallaig)
      OR

2. Visiting Eilean Donan

Please note that we plan to take the 7:00 pm train from Edinburgh to Fort William (arriving at 12 noon), and returning to Edinburgh the same day via CityLink Bus departing at 7pm So this roughly gives us 7 hours only for the day trip.